• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP ColoIncaAlpine

Jdddrigot

I too am shocked at Danny's passing.  I got to know Danny through part sales over the years on 2002faq.  He would include me on purchases of NOS and other parts from time to time.  He sold me recovered seats for my 67 that were really well done and at a very reasonable price.  He contacted me when he was passing through town a few years ago when he was attending the Mecham Auto Auction.  He generously gave me a couple of passes for my wife and I which was a nice treat.

I bought a 73tii in September of this year and he was nice enough to keep it and the trailer at his shop while we went sight-seeing in Colorado.  Of course I got to see the Alpina car and his other projects as well as the van and I got to hear all about his impending move up north as well.  When I determined that I was unprepared for the road trip back, he loaned me some better ratcheting straps and a better towing hitch. 

He was a special guy who was comfortable in his own skin and enjoyed sharing and helping other in his 02 hobby.  He will be missed.

Don W

• Like 7

It is sad to hear of Dan's passing. Although I never met Dan in person, I had similar interactions to what others have mentioned. Nice honest deals when purchasing parts, and genuine interest from Dan about my car and my projects. He would offer sound advice on what I should do with my car and help me save money and time in the process. 

I enjoy hearing about the positive impact that Dan had on others in our community. Keep the stories coming. 

Dan will be missed. 

Sending thoughts and prayers to Dan and his family. 

Rest in Peace. 

I've been off the site for a couple of weeks due to work and family stuff and was shocked to read of Dan's passing. Many wonderful thoughts have been shared, but I have to add just one more story about his kindness and willingness to help newbies.

I'd wanted an 02 for many years and was finally in a position to start looking seriously for one in the spring of 2020. A friend did an email intro to Dan, and to say that he was helpful would be a woefully inadequate description. He schooled me on the key info to know about these cars, sent me photos of his cars to illustrate some of the points, and promised to keep his eyes open for a good one for sale in his neck of the woods. Sure enough, just a couple weeks later he sent me a link to a CL ad for a car for sale in Colorado Springs.  The car looked amazing in pictures. I was giddy with excitement but he cautioned me to turn down the adrenaline until he had a look at it in person.

He drove out to see it early the next day,  and I called him when I thought he would be done looking at the car.  He was still there with the seller, though, and kept the line open while he crawled all over the thing and, one by one, downgraded or dismissed most of the seller's original claims about the car and also found some worrisome hidden rust. He was friendly to the seller, but all of his knowledge made him a ruthlessly effective 02 inspector!  After he called to give me a formal debriefing on the car later that day, and I crossed it off my list, I sent him a note that just said "Thanks for bringing a gun to a knife fight!" He got a kick out of that.

He continued to give me advice, send pictures of examples of 02s he thought were particularly good or bad, and looked at another car for me as well.

Pause for a moment and think how generous it is to share unique knowledge and skills--earned by your own hard work over many years--with people you've never met. I hope Dan's family understands how many people he impacted through that generosity.  

Thanks Dan, you will be remembered.  

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Bob D. said:

I've been off the site for a couple of weeks due to work and family stuff and was shocked to read of Dan's passing. Many wonderful thoughts have been shared, but I have to add just one more story about his kindness and willingness to help newbies.

I'd wanted an 02 for many years and was finally in a position to start looking seriously for one in the spring of 2020. A friend did an email intro to Dan, and to say that he was helpful would be a woefully inadequate description. He schooled me on the key info to know about these cars, sent me photos of his cars to illustrate some of the points, and promised to keep his eyes open for a good one for sale in his neck of the woods. Sure enough, just a couple weeks later he sent me a link to a CL ad for a car for sale in Colorado Springs.  The car looked amazing in pictures. I was giddy with excitement but he cautioned me to turn down the adrenaline until he had a look at it in person.

He drove out to see it early the next day,  and I called him when I thought he would be done looking at the car.  He was still there with the seller, though, and kept the line open while he crawled all over the thing and, one by one, downgraded or dismissed most of the seller's original claims about the car and also found some worrisome hidden rust. He was friendly to the seller, but all of his knowledge made him a ruthlessly effective 02 inspector!  After he called to give me a formal debriefing on the car later that day, and I crossed it off my list, I sent him a note that just said "Thanks for bringing a gun to a knife fight!" He got a kick out of that.

He continued to give me advice, send pictures of examples of 02s he thought were particularly good or bad, and looked at another car for me as well.

Pause for a moment and think how generous it is to share unique knowledge and skills--earned by your own hard work over many years--with people you've never met. I hope Dan's family understands how many people he impacted through that generosity.  

Thanks Dan, you will be remembered.  

Dan was always a friendly being. He always helped me in getting parts I needed for my 02 during my upgrade. He was my sure link. 

It was a very shocking and saddening news to hear he passed. 

We lost a great man.

• Like 1

So damn sad. I just found out yesterday and should have known earlier something was amiss as we were in the midst of a transaction and it was like he fell off the face of the earth. I just figured he was busy with the Alpina he'd sent pictures of in his last email. I should have known.

Dan was one of the first people I interacted with on FAQ. Short on parts, he'd answer my WTB ads. I knew little about what parts were worth and he'd say, "Is $25 ok?" and I'd say sure. Then after gaining a little more knowledge I told him, "Dan, you have to charge me more." He laughed. I miss him. The thing is he is one of the people on here who, through their example made and have since upheld the culture of this site and 2002s overall. It is up to those of us who remain to keep it going. He would not have wanted it any other way.

Goodbye Dan

• Like 6

'72 2002 Tundra/Saddle,

'72 2002tii Ceylon/Black 

'89 325is Alpine White/Sand - 88 535is Royal Blau Gray Leather M Cloth

Sad to hear about this. Just jumped back on the forum this week after almost 2 years away because I am starting the process of moving on from my 1600 and this was the first thing I saw. ?  My last activity here was acquiring parts from Dan in January 2020 just weeks before everything went to hell in the world. He generously offered to share extra stuff with me, but it got lost in the shuffle and I never responded. Great guy, condolences to his family and friends.

Edd in Sacramento

• Like 1

The BMW 1600 US VIN 1570998 was manufactured on March 9th, 1970 and delivered on March 16th, 1970 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Riviera, paint code 036.

Wow... I have been off the forum for a while and I just read this.  The first word that comes to mind is devastating.  

You know how someone is a basically wonderful human being:

1. They volunteer to help you out even though you are a total stranger
  2. They are willing to take pictures of their reference car and share them with you even though your not buying anything from them
  3. Everyone.... literally everyone comes out after they pass and share similar experiences they have had with him.

Dan was old school.  Definitely an 02 OG.  But above all a man with a heart of gold.   He will be missed. 

• Like 1

'73 2002 tii Graniterot/Saddle

'17 X5 Xdrive 3.5d Mineral White/Amaro Brown

'18 328d Xdrive Sportwagon Glacier Silver/Black