• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 2002 Non-Start Issue

Hey all! 

I’ve got a bit of puzzler here, I’m hoping some of you may be able to shed some light on it for me. 

Some background - Daily driving a ‘70, it cranks but won’t start after driving for about 20 minutes. I have it towed home and put a little gas in the carb, it fires right up but dies as soon as the fuel is burned up. After leaving it for a few days and doing a little reading online, I inspect the fuel pump and filter. Mechanical pump is working fine, filter had a bug clogging the intake. I replace the filter and go to start it. Now it won’t crank. I hear a single click coming from the starter. Power from the battery is good. Headlights are bright and I even used a jump-box for a little extra power. Could this be an issue with the starter? It was cranking just fine a few days ago. Could I have worn out the old starter from cranking too much?

Thanks in advance. 

First check and clean the ground from the block to the battery same with the positive side. Let us know if that helps. As for the hard starting when hot, the gas now days evaporates at a shockingly low temp, the best you can do is replace all the rubber fuel line including those in the trunk and clamp all junctions you also need to be sure you have the plastic bit on the fuel tank outlet. lots posted over the last year on this subject. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

After you're sure your grounds (battery to engine block, battery to car body) are both good and tight (and clean!), make sure the positive terminal on the battery is nice and clean, and tight on the terminal.  If your cables have bolt-on after market terminals, they can hide corrosion and be loose, so make sure they're not. 

Next, turn your headlights on where you can see 'em reflected (like in your garage, or have someone watch) and then hit the starter.  If the lights dim when the engine starts to crank, then the starter is at least getting juice.  If they stay bright, either the starter isn't getting sufficient amperage/voltage or the starter is bad.  Test the battery with a load tester.  To narrow it down further, try running a jumper wire from the large + battery cable on the starter across to the small terminal/wire on the starter solenoid.  If still nothing, that'll eliminate a problem with the starter switch.  

After you've done this, let us know the results.  If you're still in a no-start situation, let us know and we'll do further head-scratching.  

mike

Having just been through this with two different cars...are you getting spark at the plugs?

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

If your cables have bolt-on after market terminals, they can hide corrosion and be loose, so make sure they're not. 

Mike is referring to this style.  (they suck) 

Amazon.com: Battery Terminal Connectors, Battery Post Terminal, Negative  Positive Battery Terminals, Lead, Great Connection, Corrosion Resistance,1  Pair, Applicated in Car,Truck,Boat,Van and More.(Lead): Car Electronics

If yours look like this, take the strap off and clean out the white crusty stuff and put them back together once the clamp and cable end are shiny and clean.  Then go shopping for cables with integrated clamps.

Tom

• Haha 1

Gentlemen...

Thank you for your assistance. 

the culprit ended up being a wire that had come loose from the starter and fallen out of sight. Once re-connected, the car sprang back to life. 

Once again, thanks for the input. Truly much appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2021 at 1:30 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Mike is referring to this style.  (they suck) 

Amazon.com: Battery Terminal Connectors, Battery Post Terminal, Negative  Positive Battery Terminals, Lead, Great Connection, Corrosion Resistance,1  Pair, Applicated in Car,Truck,Boat,Van and More.(Lead): Car Electronics

If yours look like this, take the strap off and clean out the white crusty stuff and put them back together once the clamp and cable end are shiny and clean.  Then go shopping for cables with integrated clamps.

Tom

….. then throw them in the neighbours  pool. 

• Haha 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002