• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems getting ahold of IE

Lots of chatter on the board lately about IE, it is undergoing a change of ownership.

They never have been stellar about answering the phone and if it happens to be racing season it gets worse.

Theres also been a lot of chatter on the board regarding their SS exhaust systems, most of it negative. 
Main complaint? They rattle. Convinced me to reconsider buying, that and the fact that they are usually out of stock.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

53 minutes ago, Johnny Riviera said:

Didn't know they were changing owners, kinda surprised on that one. Any backstory?

Search for the thread about this same topic from a month or so ago.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Here is one of many rattling-resonator threads.  I don't think another IE resonator would be a good solution.  There were/are lot of people having the same problem with the replacement.

If your emails and phone messages mentioned the problem you're having that may influence whether or not they want to get back to you.  

Tom

Call Korman Bmw in NC. Had all kind of problems with IE header and exhaust. Tore it out and trashed it. Korman Stahl headers are excellent and they source German exhaust systems from Wallothnesch. They will ask you about your build and car to give you the right diameter. Fit and finish was excellent. I downsized from 2 to 1 7/8 dia and it really woke the car up. My best

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tech71 said:

Whats the point of long lasting SS if the internal components fail prematurely?

Bling?  Stainless steel is pretty. 

We hope for the best, in terms of longevity, but exhaust systems take a lot of abuse.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
first draft felt impolite
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

We hope for the best, in terms of longevity, but exhaust systems take a lot of abuse.

Y'all are gonna laugh, but...I had Midas put a downpipe-back system on my '73 sometime around 1987 or so...they had to replace (under warranty) the center resonator due to loose baffles a couple of years later, but the system is still on the car, and the paint hasn't even all burned off the muffler.   Only things I've had to replace are the rubber hangars and their plastic spacers.  Perhaps their current quality isn't as good as it used to be (don't know that for a fact) but I haven't been able to do a "Howdy boys, I'm here for my warranty" yet.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite