• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber 32-36 Adjustable Secondary Linkage

Today I added adjustment to the loose lever (# 45069.011) to bring the secondary in a little sooner, with a little slotted tab for the primary throttle lever to push on.

IMG_9185.JPG

IMG_9187.JPG

IMG_9195.JPG

IMG_9194.JPG

The tab is .030" thick and makes a noticeable difference in pedal feel.

IMG_9196.JPG

There is 1/4" of adjustment in the slot, which is a lot more than can be used, ( the primary will not be able to open fully ).

IMG_9193.JPG

There's just enough room to reach in behind with a shortened Allen wrench.

IMG_9198.JPG

Here it is installed in the lowest position (although the tab could also be rotated out of the way completely). 

IMG_9207.JPG

IMG_9209.JPG

I am going to put a .030" shim behind it while I tighten it back down, for a total of .060" and take another test drive. 

I think that might be a bit too much, but it will be fun to try.  Another excuse for a test drive!

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 3

• '76mintgrün'02 changed the title to Weber 32-36 Adjustable Secondary Linkage

I borrowed my distributor protractor to measure throttle travel degrees and compared the numbers for no adjuster, .030" and .060".

IMG_9212.JPG

IMG_9211.JPG

Total travel with no adjuster is 76 degrees and the throttle touches the loose lever at 45 degrees, which is 60% of total pedal travel.

With .030" adjustment, the total travel is 73 degrees (5% decrease) and it touches at 40 degrees, which is 55% of total travel.

With .060" the total is 70 degrees (10% decrease-total) and it touches at 35 degrees, which is 50% of the total throttle travel.

So, there's that.  Trust the science!!  Interpretations/comments are welcome.

In order to take the measurements without the choke's throttle-up cam coming in, I blocked it out with a bamboo skewer.

IMG_9215.JPG

New tools!

IMG_9235.JPG

These two photos show how the adjuster can move up out of the way, to let the lever land behind it... for economy mode.

IMG_9216.JPG

IMG_9218.JPG

Adjusting with the shim behind the tab.

IMG_9230.JPG

This little upgrade made all the throttle pushing much more comfortable.

IMG_9223.JPG

(I see the spring-cut hose)

The .060" setting is fun under foot.  I'll keep an eye on my AFR gauge. 

The odometer's stopped spinning again, so mileage be damned.

Tom

• Like 2

My short test drive was on a 40 mph winding rural road, so the experience was somewhat limited; but I liked the way it ran/drove.  I definitely noticed the higher tip in point.  I don't know why it would feel peppier before that happens, but it did.  Probably just my excitement.  

I mentioned this idea in esty's recent Weber throttle linkage thread and said I'd like to be able to control the secondary tip in from the driver's seat.  That's not happening, but it sure would make it easier to make note of the changes.

If I am going to do much adjusting/testing, I might put a little rectangular air filter on, so I don't have to move the big one every time.

Tom

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, John76 said:

With a 3.90 diff., what's your speed and rpm (4th gear) when the secondary kicks in? 

Is your speedo working, or did just the odometer give up the ghost?

I have not done enough testing to answer your speed/rpm/secondary question.

Can you answer that one for your car?

My speedo is working and 10% optimistic, due to the 3.90 differential.  The odometer was not spinning when I bought my car, so I did the FAQ fix of deforming the shaft to grip the gear.  It worked for eight years, before it started slipping again.  I pulled it out and slid the gear over, hoping the shaft would stick, but it did not last long.  So, no odometer right now.

I would like to have a needle that shows throttle position and a mark on that gauge to show when the throttle makes contact with the loose link, so I can see it happen while driving.

So many ideas.  So few insights.  So many other things I really ought to be doing!  

I'm trying to save my test drives for when I have some place I need to go.  I'll be going to Bremerton tomorrow morning and have the option of some highway time.  I usually prefer to take the back roads through Poulsbo, Keyport, Brownsville and Illahee.  We'll see.

Tom

On 6/12/2021 at 9:58 PM, Son of Marty said:

your throttle return spring needs to be turned around

Thank you.  When I turned it around, I also moved it out to the other hole.  That was a mistake, since it made the pedal harder to push and the transition to secondary wasn't as easy to feel.  I pulled over on my test run and put the spring back in the hole that's closer to the rod.

I am very happy with how it drives in the .060" setting.  It's tempting to order up a ten pack of loose links from Pierce and do a mini production run.  It'd be fun to get feedback.

I already have the stainless screws :) 

IMG_9258.JPG

Watching the AFR gauge, it doesn't go as lean before tipping into the secondary and when that happens, it doesn't go quite as rich.  I really don't see any drawbacks, other than decreased mileage, but that should be minimal and easily offset by increased smileage.

Tom

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 12:55 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

These two photos show how the adjuster can move up out of the way, to let the lever land behind it... for economy mode.

What's "economy mode"?  I don't think that is real.

Nice work, you beautiful weirdo.

Scott

• Thanks 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

12 hours ago, John76 said:

It's a song by Gordon Lightfoot.

Let me guess, it's slow, too long and never really gets to the point.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

6 hours ago, saaron said:

What's "economy mode"?  I don't think that is real.

Economy mode, meaning as it wuz before the adjuster wuz added.  

I shared this with my cousin, who participates on a Toyota Tacoma forum and he said it is like the historical version of the modern day Sprint Booster.  I found this video showing what they do.  (I don't know what I would do with such a new vehicle).

In that video, he says one of the knock off companies offers an economy-mode that makes the servo move even slower than stock and then he makes fun of them for that feature.  :) 

I made two more adjustable loose links this morning and one is on its way to Bellingham for testing.

I changed the location of the tapped hole and shortened the stainless tab/slot.  Now I only need to connect two holes with needle files, instead of three.

IMG_9413.JPG

The two on the right are new, the one on the far right is the link that was originally on my Weber.  It is back on there now and prototype #1 has been retired from service.

IMG_9421.JPG

When I took it out, I saw that I had not done a good job of shimming it.  I guess the shim hit that little step on the link and was not fully inserted and I wasn't careful to push the tab into the corner. 

IMG_9370.JPG

I made new shims out of stainless wiper blade inserts and reset it to .060".  

IMG_9375.JPG

Here is the kit that's went in the mail today.

IMG_9424.JPG

IMG_9425.JPG

The shimming tool can also be used to help guide the wrench into the adjustment screw.

IMG_9422.JPG

I found this note in a CL toolbox I bought.  :) 

IMG_9380.JPG

Tom

IMG_9365.JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 7502 said:

I'm the guinea pig

Oink oink.

I had to look this up....

What is alpha vs beta testing?

Alpha testing is performed by testers who are usually internal employees of the organization. Beta testing is performed by clients who are not part of the organization. Alpha testing is performed at developer's site. Beta testing is performed at end-user of the product.

Thanks, Eric.