• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Toolkit

PapaG

Yes. And they are not that terribly rare. Many have survived.

You can clean up the vinyl pouch. It won’t be pristine, but it will be... cleaner. And you can get the tools re-plated in clear zinc, and they will look virtually new. Or... you can leave it the way it is, if you’re into patina!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve, are the tools zinc plated or nickel?  Or even chrome, although I doubt that.   That's the complete kit pictured--and FYI, they must have made the pouches from leftover upholstery scraps, as they come in many different colors and finishes.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I believe the factory tools are made with chrome in the steel but not chrome plated.

I have a bunch of the tools, pm me if interested in buying some nicer ones if those don't clean up.

Yes I believe the pouches were made of scraps. I've seen fabric in black, red, tan and white, all with red trim.

BMW motorcycles came with similar tool kits but usually grey fabric with blue trim.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Steve, are the tools zinc plated or nickel?  Or even chrome, although I doubt that.   That's the complete kit pictured--and FYI, they must have made the pouches from leftover upholstery scraps, as they come in many different colors and finishes.  

mike

Mike,

@2002iii’s view might be the most accurate. They weren’t nickel plated. I just know that a round of clear zinc re-plating makes them look very original and shiny... but not too shiny!

Best regards,

Steve

They should all say Heyco Made in West Germany or Made in W. Germany the tools are chrome vanadium

The 1968 tool roll has the black screwdriver and smooth texture

The 1973 tool roll has a slight texture

The tools with no roll are from a 1988 M5.

New tool rolls are available through Coupe King's eBay store for $30 in 3 colors. 

IMG_4964.jpeg

IMG_4965.jpeg

IMG_4966.JPG

• Like 4

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

The original kit is nice if all you care about is originality, but if you actually want to have a better chance of fixing things on the road you'll want a larger tool kit. The factory tools are in there, if slightly obscured. In addition to what's more or less visible, there's a 3/8" ratchet and socket set in there as well.

IMG_20180725_145910_1024.jpg

• Like 1

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

4 minutes ago, John76 said:

My tool roll is green! Don't know where that came from...never seen a green interior.

This is my original, never used. 

BMW Tool Roll.jpg

BMW tools.JPG

I don’t believe the vinyl scraps were necessarily generated by BMW interiors. I think they were just cheap scraps of vinyl — free or nearly free — that BMW had sewn up into the pouches.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...