• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DCOE velocity stack fitment issues

sam1904

Not using the sleeve to align the Aux Venturi concentrically (think of a cylinder inside another cylinder) and only using the 'lock screw' to pin it is a hack. Like the mismatched diameter 'leaky' stack retention lip, and the complete lack of a properly radiused trumpet inlet on that 'pipe'.

At least it looks like you made a good choice getting Hal's linkage.

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I'm a little confused, because IE's website says right in the description that those stacks do not fit the sleeve style, they only fit the tab style

"These 4″ velocity stacks fit 40DCOE carburetors with tab-style stack retainers, and fasten using the original Weber mounting studs and clips........These are intended for Spanish-made Weber 40DCOE Type 151, not meant for the old Italian-made webers. These stacks do not extend down in between the venturi and carb body. The venturi on Spanish Weber 40DCOE’s are held in place by a set screw. "

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/4-angled-velocity-stacks-for-40-dcoe-carbs/

Why anyone at IE would tell you different than their own website, I have no idea.

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

IE has never had the curved stacks for 40 DCOE in the sleeve style, or I would've bought them.  They only have sleeve style for 45 DCOEs, and tab style for 40s.  I had to go with my regular stacks with angled UNI filters, which still look a little goofy as 2 have to bend up over the stock booster.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

20 minutes ago, KFunk said:

I'm a little confused, because IE's website says right in the description that those stacks do not fit the sleeve style, they only fit the tab style

"These 4″ velocity stacks fit 40DCOE carburetors with tab-style stack retainers, and fasten using the original Weber mounting studs and clips........These are intended for Spanish-made Weber 40DCOE Type 151, not meant for the old Italian-made webers. These stacks do not extend down in between the venturi and carb body. The venturi on Spanish Weber 40DCOE’s are held in place by a set screw. "

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/4-angled-velocity-stacks-for-40-dcoe-carbs/

Why anyone at IE would tell you different than their own website, I have no idea.

You are correct - if I had read and fully understood (which I didn't as I had never had my hands on the carbs) the description I would have known exactly what I was getting which is exactly as described. The aux venturis do indeed seem very solid with the set screw and without the sleeve so although not mechanically perfect likely a case of "works just fine, dont overthink it". 

I do wish there was not such a diameter difference that causes then to be hard too install and "untidy" but again sure they will work.(without the sleeve that centers them they fall too the bottom when installing, the tabs rotate and they fall out. When tightened up hopefully they stay in place!.....)

So for now a workable option as when I pull the pod filters the stacks are right there to drop my squirrel cages in...

Edited by sam1904

2022 Defender 110 30th Edition

1976 BMW 2002 - Evolving...

7 hours ago, KFunk said:

These are intended for Spanish-made Weber 40DCOE Type 151, not meant for the old Italian-made webers. These stacks do not extend down in between the venturi and carb body. The venturi on Spanish Weber 40DCOE’s are held in place by a set screw. "

Well I have DCOE 40 Typo 151 Spanish Webers - and they take the slot-in trumpets. And the Aux venturis rattle without the centering sleeves.  And you really want the Aux venturi centered within the bore, not pressed against one side. So it's all odd.

... these posts also made me remember I have a set of cast aluminum BMW Autosport 90-deg DCOE 40 carb adapters/filters stashed away somewhere that I should dig out and put up for sale that I ran when I first had my dual 40s...

Tom

5 hours ago, visionaut said:

Well I have DCOE 40 Typo 151 Spanish Webers - and they take the slot-in trumpets. And the Aux venturis rattle without the centering sleeves.  And you really want the Aux venturi centered within the bore, not pressed against one side. So it's all odd.

... these posts also made me remember I have a set of cast aluminum BMW Autosport 90-deg DCOE 40 carb adapters/filters stashed away somewhere that I should dig out and put up for sale that I ran when I first had my dual 40s...

Tom

Let me know what you have!

Thanks

Sam

I spoke to someone at IE (the owner?) and he stated that these parts are for the 40s, the sleeve is not needed and any small amount of air that bypasses the Stack because of the excessive diametral gap will not be an issue...

Ok, gloves off:  Jeff Ireland hires whoever he can find.  They range from pretty awesome (Jeremy, more than a decade ago) 

to insane (fuzzy pachyderm from last year) and anywhere in- between.  Then he doesn't pay much attention

to what they do.  

The same can be said for his sourcing- he figures out how to make something, hires someone to produce it for

him at a price point, and then doesn't have anyone doing real quality control on what comes back.

Doesn't sound like you talked to Jeff- I think he knows the difference between a DCOE 40 and a DCOE 45. 

Whomever you spoke to does not.  The 45's have a locknut that retains the aux venturi.  The 40 uses sleeves. on

the trumpets and little, fussy clips that hold them down in there.

I haven't seen yesterday's Spanish Armada, but the Spanish 151's I have use sleeves.  The 151's they sent

you use sleeves.  Had they opened the baggie, it's pretty obvious.

Which is why you pay with a credit card,  and if things go south, you talk to Jeff directly,

and if he's in a bad mood, you then talk to the nice people at the credit card company.

I've never had any problems with things that I bought when speaking with Jeff or Jeremy 

(not the current Jeremy, if he's still there, the Jeremy who worked there 20 years ago)

but anything ordered over the internet or when talking to anyone else is always a crapshoot.

Ireland's prices are always a 'good deal'- competing products usually cost quite a bit more.

They sell things you can't get anymore.  They remake things that work better.

They sell, for example, a piston that lets you make a 2 liter engine out of a 1.8i head.

They'll (usually) sell you one part of something they've made when you break it.

They are also based in SoCal, one of the most expensive, difficult- to- make- things- in

states, (down there, they seem to think that the brass in a car temperature gauge will kill you, for example)

So I always factor all of that in,  and my past ordering experiences, when I'm comparison shopping.

t

going in with eyes wide open.

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

25 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Ok, gloves off:  Jeff Ireland hires whoever he can find.  They range from pretty awesome (Jeremy, more than a decade ago) 

to insane (fuzzy pachyderm from last year) and anywhere in- between.  Then he doesn't pay much attention

to what they do.  

The same can be said for his sourcing- he figures out how to make something, hires someone to produce it for

him at a price point, and then doesn't have anyone doing real quality control on what comes back.

Doesn't sound like you talked to Jeff- I think he knows the difference between a DCOE 40 and a DCOE 45. 

Whomever you spoke to does not.  The 45's have a locknut that retains the aux venturi.  The 40 uses sleeves. on

the trumpets and little, fussy clips that hold them down in there.

I haven't seen yesterday's Spanish Armada, but the Spanish 151's I have use sleeves.  The 151's they sent

you use sleeves.  Had they opened the baggie, it's pretty obvious.

Which is why you pay with a credit card,  and if things go south, you talk to Jeff directly,

and if he's in a bad mood, you then talk to the nice people at the credit card company.

I've never had any problems with things that I bought when speaking with Jeff or Jeremy 

(not the current Jeremy, if he's still there, the Jeremy who worked there 20 years ago)

but anything ordered over the internet or when talking to anyone else is always a crapshoot.

Ireland's prices are always a 'good deal'- competing products usually cost quite a bit more.

They sell things you can't get anymore.  They remake things that work better.

They sell, for example, a piston that lets you make a 2 liter engine out of a 1.8i head.

They'll (usually) sell you one part of something they've made when you break it.

They are also based in SoCal, one of the most expensive, difficult- to- make- things- in

states, (down there, they seem to think that the brass in a car temperature gauge will kill you, for example)

So I always factor all of that in,  and my past ordering experiences, when I'm comparison shopping.

t

going in with eyes wide open.

@TobyB ^ = well said.

Worth noting - in my opinion - is that in exchange for the friendly price point IE sells items, some of the products are ‘almost’ as opposed to ‘outstanding.’ And, the cost difference to dial-in that last bit of engineering, manufacturing, and QC would result in a a price which many are unwilling to pay; so, set expectations accordingly. -KB

PS: Come home, Jeremy...

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 1:55 PM, sam1904 said:

On the afore mentioned call it was also mentioned the aux venturis are held in by a screw...

I don’t like it but it will get me down the road. 

I have just made sure my aux venturis are securely held in by the screw & lock nut w/ my dual pancake filter setup and I haven't had any issues with them coming loose.

PXL_20201114_203744794.jpg

Thanks all for the comments and ideas. 

Seeing as IE has become a subject here are some of my thoughts..

Do I get as little frustrated sometimes with little issues of one type or another..... yes

Do I sometimes forget that I am just working on an old car and it really isn’t THAT important and I can be a picky and impatient person..... yes

Do I have the same frustration with Amazon and many other retailers..... yes

I think the points above by Tobyb are valid. In my experience of running a business working with low volume parts the pain in the assess are usually (and in this order) 1) humans - staffing (and if you can have any stability that speaks volumes), 2) humans - pain in the ass customers, (of which I can be one, even though I don’t mean to be!) and 3) trying to cost effectively produce a great product at lower volume which in many cases necessitates using what is available vs. tooling (maybe there is no standard pipe of the size needed for the sleeve?)

At the end of the day we can vote with our $$ and despite a couple of bumps in the road Ireland has a great range at good prices and usually is very responsive and personable - as such it  has had more of my business than I would tell my wife and still will for many parts. We would all be grumbling if they were not there and probably stressed if it was our business. 

Not sure what I am going to do about a filter set up but it is good that there are at least options for a nearly 50 year old car. In relation to the stacks / venturis does it make me a little uncomfortable as a 3 decade automotive engineer...a little, are they going to go any where, kill my motor or stop air and fuel being metered into it... I can’t imagine it!

Happy New Year to you all and the Ireland crew!
Sam

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Bumping this:

Currently looking at filter solutions, and I may end up going with the IE stacks.  Does anyone have any idea if the DCOE Spanish 40 stacks come properly sleeved, like IE shows with the 45s?  Or are they still sleeveless?  Website still shows them as the incorrect condition:

image.png.491061e9bf31da844d33737a8e32e42f.png

I know they're out of stock right now, but I was told they were going to be restocked soon.  

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

3 hours ago, Leucadian said:

Currently looking at filter solutions, and I may end up going with the IE stacks.

I ran these on my Cab.  No fitment issues with stock brake booster.  Well made.

Mark92131

file.jpg
WWW.CORSAVELOCITA.COM

WEBER VELOCITY STACK AIR FILTERS FOR WEBER 40 DCOE TO 50 DCOE SIDE DRAFT CARBURATORS. This Kit Will Fit BMW 2002 E10 4 Cylinder Engines With Side Draft Carburators.THIS IS A NEW PRODUCT DEVOLPED BY CORSA VELOCITA LLC. AND...

IMG_2220.JPG

• Thanks 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Those 40mm IE ‘stacks’ (being kind, they’re really only a 90-degree straight pipe, with no taper, and not even a bellmouth, just a flare) are indeed sleeveless. So you’d also need a set of sleeves…

There’s better options out there.

• Thanks 1