DCOE velocity stack fitment issues

sam1904

All, I am a little confused which will come as no suprises to those off you who have read other posts of mine!

I am installing a pair of 40 DCOE's and using Ireland 4" velocity stacks. When I remove the stock horns there is a sleeve that slides into the carb that the stacks don't have and the location diameter is about 2mm larger (A vs. b. ) When I mate up the stacks they are diametrically very loose. I am sure the tabs may center then a little but this and the lack of sleeve doesn't seem right??

Do I have the right parts?

Thanks

Sam

0EECD8B0-7189-4826-A02F-2C9ACFC41F06.jpeg

86B9518D-1517-477B-933F-7556DAD52C8B.jpeg

F807B28A-2A16-4ED7-A02D-E0D795F673F3.jpeg

B58C3664-346E-440F-93D3-AAB1142E9180.jpeg

Edited by sam1904
Correct

Your style 40 DCOEs should use the slot-in style trumpets as shown on the right in your first pic.  To use that bolt-on style ‘velocity stack’ you’d need to find DCOE 40 insert sleeves. You need the insert sleeve or slot-in style trumpets to fix/hold the Aux Venturis in place.

Tom

Edited by visionaut

What Tom said- you need the sleeved velocity stacks.  

Many of us are not surprised- at this point, call them, talk to Jeff,

and get him to send you the right parts.

If they have them.   In my recollection, what they have as

labelled for 45's are the way 40's work, and vise-versa.

t

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TobyB said:

In my recollection, what they have as

labelled for 45's are the way 40's work, and vise-versa.

My thInking exactly, Toby, looking at the IE part pics.  40s use the slot-in style, 45s don’t.  The design seems backwards - at first it thought they were just mislabeled pics, but they also refer to their distance/length measurements, and the ones labeled 45/5.5 do look bigger... Both are not very ‘aero’ looking to me either.

2 minutes ago, sam1904 said:

Do you wear a cape?

No, but I do wear a mask!

Here are some that should be short enough to clear the brake booster.  Do you have the retainers to hold the stacks in place? See first pic.

Like visionaut said, you can't really run the 40 DCOEs without these.

1 hour ago, visionaut said:

You need the insert sleeve or slot-in style trumpets to fix/hold the Aux Venturis in place.

40 DCOE Stacks and retainers (1).jpg

40 DCOE Stacks and retainers (2).jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sam1904 said:

thanks but those are what came on the carb and I have.

Am looking to add a filter and need an angled stack toclear the booster.

Sam

Mildly-angled stacks like this work/fit pretty well (shown next to 'standard' DCOE stack), though filters require some creativity -KB

ref-dcoe-angled-velocity-stack.jpg

Edited by kbmb02
-
  • Like 1

This is my road car and it’s really dusty around here so I was looking to run the filter set up shown in the picture below.

I spoke to someone at IE (the owner?) and he stated that these parts are for the 40s, the sleeve is not needed and any small amount of air that bypasses the Stack because of the excessive diametral gap will not be an issue...

Not sure if I should cut the sleeves off the original trumpets and slide them in the gap to plug the hole?

5AFDA1D5-B4EF-4850-885D-8BA1A1AD2148.jpeg

D629145A-7BB5-4798-A474-3817F140281A.jpeg

It ain’t just the ‘leak’ at the outlet caused by the mismatched diameter to worry about. It’s your Aux Venturii rattling around inside because there’s nothing holding them in place. The long sleeves on the proper slot-in style stacks for your 40 DCOEs do that.

Since you want to retain your stock non-tii brake booster, you’re going to see clearance issues. If it were me, I’d look at ‘stubbie’ stacks with a flat-style air filter. 

Tom