• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not stock...

irdave

10 minutes ago, d.hitchcock said:

I just love this car.

Right?  I pung him about the flares, I think they're these... https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-2002-Fender-flares-JDM-wide-body-kit-Arch-Extensions-3-5-90mm-4pcs-/272659353902

I've got some of the big Schnitzer box flares sitting here but am seriously rethinking it.

Probably all started with seeing this render...  &title=Wide%20Body%202002%20Rendering%20

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

2 hours ago, irdave said:

Right?  I pung him about the flares, I think they're these... https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-2002-Fender-flares-JDM-wide-body-kit-Arch-Extensions-3-5-90mm-4pcs-/272659353902

I've got some of the big Schnitzer box flares sitting here but am seriously rethinking it.

Probably all started with seeing this render...  &title=Wide%20Body%202002%20Rendering%20

The eBay ones are not the greatest quality. I wonder if he is using Clinched flares?  They are what the eBay ones are copied off of. 

Check out Clinched Classic 9cm flares. Those are definitely the 9cm ones. We sell them at danjermotorsports.com

The hardest part with running flares this wide is getting the wheel out far enough properly. Unless he made wider control arms front and rear, he would have to have close to a 50mm spacer in the rear and a 20mm in the front? 

Extended Chromoly control arms and other 2002 parts

https://www.danjermotorsports.com

Instagram.  https://www.instagram.com/danjer_motorsports/

6 hours ago, DanJer Motorsports said:

For reference, my car has the 5cm flares, 15x8 et0 wheels with 205’s. I have to run a 20mm spacer in the rear. The front has our wide control arms and camber plates. 

Your car is looking nice.

Dude said he had 9" wheels front and rear...

But I'm interested in the flares you guys have...  The front of my car is pretty taken apart and way up on jackstands, but the rear is on the ground.  Really crudely, rear outside of tire to outside of tire is about 66", and I've got about 3 inches of flare and it's barely enough with some camber, rubbing in the front and rear, both just a touch.  My car is a little odd, but 16x8 et 18 or 20, 205/50, but it's all customed e30m3 crap, so... my flares may vary.  Even if I went to 16x7, et 35 or so (e36 wheel), what, that would pull about an inch from the outside?  But who wants their car narrower?  I'm going to go look at the flares...

• Like 1

Dave.

39 minutes ago, irdave said:

Dude said he had 9" wheels front and rear...

But I'm interested in the flares you guys have...  The front of my car is pretty taken apart and way up on jackstands, but the rear is on the ground.  Really crudely, rear outside of tire to outside of tire is about 66", and I've got about 3 inches of flare and it's barely enough with some camber, rubbing in the front and rear, both just a touch.  My car is a little odd, but 16x8 et 18 or 20, 205/50, but it's all customed e30m3 crap, so... my flares may vary.  Even if I went to 16x7, et 35 or so (e36 wheel), what, that would pull about an inch from the outside?  But who wants their car narrower?  I'm going to go look at the flares...

Ya, my measurements were taking into account 15x9 (assuming et0?). I purchased the eBay flares linked up higher and they were way too wide for the work I was willing to put in at the time. So I went with the 5cm flares instead. Here’s a pic with the wheels and tire but no flares yet. I think the back would almost clear with a good fender roll/pull. The front no way. Haha

B2C6B2B2-3894-469F-B443-AECD89430A24.jpeg

1C0DC5BC-7121-4516-9BFB-BD483F197AA4.jpeg

57 minutes ago, irdave said:

But I'm interested in the flares you guys have...  

Thanks!   

Ya, Clinched flares are really good quality compared to the eBay flares. They also come with hardware, I prefer rivits though. Make sure you get some clecos either way. 

Edited by DanJer Motorsports

I pung him

Did he object?

195 tire on a 9" rim.  >bgawk<

So it's all well and good to stick the 

wheels out from under the fenders, 

until you try to turn... 

... and then the tires wrap themselves up

in the nose and floorboards.

t

15" 10"x23".  Gimme 40 acres to turn this rig around...

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

Did he object?

195 tire on a 9" rim.  >bgawk<

So it's all well and good to stick the 

wheels out from under the fenders, 

until you try to turn... 

... and then the tires wrap themselves up

in the nose and floorboards.

t

15" 10"x23".  Gimme 40 acres to turn this rig around...

Haven't heard from him yet.

195 on a 9, you like that dontcha'?  :)

I'm on 16x8, with a 205/50 right now.  Was on 15x8.  Pulled the power steering pump and currently running the e30m3 rack with no assist and an empty of fluid rack.  I've got a z4 non M electric assist rack waiting to go in.  It's supposed to have much more movement per input than the e30 rack, and somehow be easier to turn...  Must be magic!  But all my stuff is m3, with all of the angles maintained into the '02 chassis- Ralph did some amazing work- 10 degrees of caster and all, and made the center bolt of the control arms actually bolt through the subframe and into the chassis itself.  It's so stiff.  Might be part of why my car is 2500 lbs...  And I'm not sure how much wider my suspension is than it used to be- however much wider the e30m3 is than the 2002...

So for a stock-ish 2002, yeah, I bet it's a little crazy.  Stantz is life, Toby!  :)

• Like 1

Dave.