• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbocharging is Worth it

Benjamin A.R.

What happened to,"Your car, do what you want."?

Looked to me like you guys were having a bunch of fun.  Donuts are fun.  Driving sideways is fun.

Why all the hate?

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

8 hours ago, Benjamin A.R. said:

Agree to disagree. I don't know if you remember, but you helped me solve my EDIS tach wiring debacle. For that I will always be grateful.

No hard feelings, and I have to admit, I actually misread your title, I thought it was the question 'is it worth it?' rather than a statement, my bad! ;D And super glad the EDIS is still working well for you - having fun with a well-running car is of course the most important thing!

2 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

No hard feelings, and I have to admit, I actually misread your title, I thought it was the question 'is it worth it?' rather than a statement, my bad! ;D And super glad the EDIS is still working well for you - having fun with a well-running car is of course the most important thing!

Oh yeah! The needle has been spending most of its time slapping the shit out of the limiter though haha ever since I built up a 3 clutch medium case. It's amazing because it's the bone stock short block with god knows how much mileage and I haven't killed it yet. Right now I'm filming assembly of my built-ish M10 which will be seeing a lot more than 7 psi.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Benjamin A.R. said:

Oh yeah! The needle has been spending most of its time slapping the shit out of the limiter though haha ever since I built up a 3 clutch medium case. It's amazing because it's the bone stock short block with god knows how much mileage and I haven't killed it yet. Right now I'm filming assembly of my built-ish M10 which will be seeing a lot more than 7 psi.

I ran 10psi on a tired stock bottom end for over a year, including some track time. Blow by eventually started pushing oil out multiple seals, but nothing failed. The M10 is a tough little engine. Looking forward to seeing the engine build. I’m letting a professional handle it and hope to get the car back fairly soon.

Looked like you and your passengers were having a good time. Great to see an old car being driven and enjoyed.

• Like 1

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

If anything it's a testament to how good EFI has gotten especially considering I've never had it on the dyno, it's just street tuned. If you ever change your mind and slap a T3 on your car, give me a shout I'll give you my tune for free.

2 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

having fun with a well-running car is of course the most important thing!

Say it louder for the people in the back haha

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bento said:

I ran 10psi on a tired stock bottom end for over a year, including some track time. Blow by eventually started pushing oil out multiple seals, but nothing failed. The M10 is a tough little engine. Looking forward to seeing the engine build. I’m letting a professional handle it and hope to get the car back fairly soon.

Looked like you and your passengers were having a good time. Great to see an old car being driven and enjoyed.

Hell yeah! They're really stout it amazes me to no end. People tend to forget that the most powerful F1 engine of all time used an M10 block... in the days before proper computerized engine management. I'm excited too! I hope I don't mess it up haha. I hope yours turns out great too! 

The car is such a blast! Glad you enjoyed the video, lots more in the works.

• Like 1

Yup, the M10 bottom end was built to take a LOT of things.  Including turrrrrbo.

And given that the rockers pop long before anything else is even stressed, off you go!

Stock diffs, however, are a diffffferent storrrrrrry.  But once welded solid, they last a few seasons.

Even MS1 tuned with a wbo2 is so far beyond what a carburettor can do, it's not funny.

So have at it, watch your detonation and don't let it go lean ANYWHERE when you're 

above atmospheric, and go find a nice, curvy race track.

t

does not always take his own advice.

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

7 hours ago, irdave said:

Looked to me like you guys were having a bunch of fun.  Donuts are fun.  Driving sideways is fun.

Why all the hate?

Some people enjoy flame wars haha. I could probably flambé them into another dimension if I cared. When I detect a certain amount of pretentiousness, I know to just steer clear.

That's what I'm trying to say in this thread, the amount of fun I've had with this car makes all the work worth it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gary32 said:

There are places for finding performance limits.

It's not on the street where limits and respect for others exist.

Second after acquiring and honing any skill humility rules. We have enough A types.

Sorry Benjamin and others didn't mean to come off like Captain Buzz Kill.

Find a track or some other controlled environment and post your evolution and FUN.

Take some of those young ladies with you and don't be surprised if they have driving skills.

For someone advocating humility, you're doing an awful lot of assuming and preaching. I think you misunderstood my comment. I could rip on the clown randomly posting pictures of a pizza oven they're struggling to copy because they lack basic masonry skills. That would be a flamewar for example.

1 hour ago, Cooper said:

Not once have I hit redline in my 02. Guess I don’t need to be too worried about it anymore after watching you hit limiter like it’s nothing! 

Cars are all about having fun, keep doing it!

Just means I need more cam right? Haha. And yeah all day long! M10s are tough... I think. 

You can bet on that dude! I'll keep making videos even if YouTube never pays me a dime.

Awesome car man! been watching your build and have really enjoyed it.... don't listen to the haters....they just wish their 02 was quick lol jk...I just finished turbo-ing my 02. It was the best thing I ever did to my car, it's so much fun to drive. Keep up the good work and turn up the boost!... im running 12 PSI on a blow through mikuni with no motor issues. motor only has studs and an MLS gasket 

• Like 2