• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbocharging is Worth it

Benjamin A.R.

I understand the fun and adventure of adding a turbo, and the Hoon-ing, even if not my thing. But I cringe at what I see as a lack attention to safely - from the loose seat, to unsafe driving on the street. Why not find track/etc that's set up for drifting? -KB

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 2joejoe2 said:

Awesome car man! been watching your build and have really enjoyed it.... don't listen to the haters....they just wish their 02 was quick lol jk...I just finished turbo-ing my 02. It was the best thing I ever did to my car, it's so much fun to drive. Keep up the good work and turn up the boost!... im running 12 PSI on a blow through mikuni with no motor issues. motor only has studs and an MLS gasket 

Dude that's sick I gotta check it out! You're brave as hell running blow through, although Mikunis are exactly what I would want for this application as well. You on IG or YouTube?

6 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

I understand the fun and adventure of adding a turbo, and the Hoon-ing, even if not my thing. But I cringe at what I see as a lack attention to safely - from the loose seat, to unsafe driving on the street. Why not find track/etc that's set up for drifting? -KB

I appreciate and respect your concern KB. I do go to the track when I can, and I want to go more. Yep the seat hinge bolt had backed out over time, I addressed it as soon as I noticed it in editing. I don't claim to be an expert, but I trust myself to give a fun ride without excessive risk. I leave a large margin for error. The car looks faster than it is, your NA hotrods are probably much quicker. You're right, all I would add is that I think there is a balance we all make between having a blast in an old shitbox and being reasonably safe. Everyone decides for themselves where that balance is, mine probably requires some adjustment as I turn up the power.

Thank you for the constructive criticism!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:59 PM, Benjamin A.R. said:

Dude that's sick I gotta check it out! You're brave as hell running blow through, although Mikunis are exactly what I would want for this application as well. You on IG or YouTube?

Im on IG but not active....Ill DM you some pics of the build 

No... no it isn’t.  I know it isn’t , but I am still going to do it. 

Why.. because I can, and on my deathbed I will look back and think of how crazy, stupid  and nutty an adventure it was.

Build. Kaboom. Repeat.

Edited by Dudeland
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 10/12/2020 at 5:06 PM, Dudeland said:

No... no it isn’t.  I know it isn’t , but I am still going to do it. 

Why.. because I can, and on my deathbed I will look back and think of how crazy, stupid  and nutty an adventure it was.

Build. Kaboom. Repeat.

Yes! Life is short might as well enjoy a little forced induction before internal combustion gets banned.

• Like 1

It looks like it goes well.  I do have evil thoughts from time to time about forced induction on the m10  with dual Weber’s.  

I run a few old bmws with a Vortech supercharger which makes a stack of power and doesn’t kill the nice noises that naturally aspirated BMW’s make.  It actually enhances them.  They are easy to tune as they work similar to naturally aspirated but with a crazy top end rush.  

searching on google for supercharged bmw 2002’s comes up almost blank except for a handful of e46 models!  Perhaps it’s a bad idea?

1974 2002 2.2stroker, DCOE45's, 300deg cam, 5 spd, 3.91 LSD // 1984 E24 M635csi, dogleg 5spd 3.23 LSD. // 1994 E34 540i, supercharged 16psi, 6spd E85 only, 3.15 LSD // 1997 E36 M3 Evo, low comp supercharged 18psi 6spd (under construction)

On 10/8/2020 at 5:05 PM, bento said:

I ran 10psi on a tired stock bottom end for over a year, including some track time. Blow by eventually started pushing oil out multiple seals, but nothing failed. The M10 is a tough little engine. Looking forward to seeing the engine build. I’m letting a professional handle it and hope to get the car back fairly soon.

Looked like you and your passengers were having a good time. Great to see an old car being driven and enjoyed.

Whoo that sounds nice!

What kind of compression does yours have ? and did you have to enrich it a lot ?

On 10/16/2020 at 1:30 PM, GazM3 said:

searching on google for supercharged bmw 2002’s comes up almost blank except for a handful of e46 models!  Perhaps it’s a bad idea?

I wanted to do a Camden kit for a long time but I could never find one. I think you could probably use one of the baby screw types they had on those mini coopers. A procharger is probably the best bet though.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:32 AM, Guuskolo said:

Whoo that sounds nice!

What kind of compression does yours have ? and did you have to enrich it a lot ?

We targeted 8.5:1 compression ratio for the new engine but came out closer to 8.6 when measured during assembly. I’m not planning to throw much boost at it as 200lbft of torque is nearing the torque capacity of just about everything else in the drivetrain from what I’ve read. So when it’s all back together, goal will be however much boost it takes to get to 200lbft, then tune for top end power. 

Head is ported with big valves and my mechanic had a cam ground to specs similar to what Cat Cams in Belgium offers. http://www.catcams.com/products/camshafts/datasheet.aspx?ENGINE_id=109&CAMSETUP_id=2418&Language=english

I’m hoping this improves breathing enough above 4K rpm to flatten out the torque curve for another thousand or so RPM.

Fuel and ignition are controlled by megasquirt, running 55lb injectors and a Turbonetics T3 Super 60. All chosen to max out around 275-300hp, which should be plenty in a 2200lb car. Hell, 200/200 is plenty on the street, but felt a bit slow on track still.

Here’s the stock engine result on the dyno at 7psi and 10 psi.

91F15D9C-3D7E-41FE-A456-D2261DE09C65.jpeg
Gratuitous dyno run video. 

Edited by bento
Typo
  • Like 2

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

2 hours ago, bento said:

We targeted 8.5:1 compression ratio for the new engine but came out closer to 8.6 when measured during assembly. I’m not planning to throw much boost at it as 200lbft of torque is nearing the torque capacity of just about everything else in the drivetrain from what I’ve read. So when it’s all back together, goal will be however much boost it takes to get to 200lbft, then tune for top end power. 

Head is ported with big valves and my mechanic had a cam ground to specs similar to what Cat Cams in Belgium offers. http://www.catcams.com/products/camshafts/datasheet.aspx?ENGINE_id=109&CAMSETUP_id=2418&Language=english

I’m hoping this improves breathing enough above 4K rpm to flatten out the torque curve for another thousand or so RPM.

Fuel and ignition are controlled by megasquirt, running 55lb injectors and a Turbonetics T3 Super 60. All chosen to max out around 275-300hp, which should be plenty in a 2200lb car. Hell, 200/200 is plenty on the street, but felt a bit slow on struck still.

Here’s the stock engine result on the dyno at 7psi and 10 psi.

91F15D9C-3D7E-41FE-A456-D2261DE09C65.jpeg
Gratuitous dyno run video. 

Car looks amazing! colour couldn't be better :)

What kind of compression where you running before this overhaul? 10Psi sounds like a quite the load for an engine with 9.5:1 compression (9.5 is stock compression right ? i could be mistaken here)

Sure it is, if you have the knowledge and/or resources to get it done. When Korman built my motor we were talking and he said, "I'm surprised I didn't get to build more M10 turbo motors. It is the ideal platform for it." The traditionally preferred S14 swap becomes more difficult just sourcing the motor$.  I ran the Garrett at about 8-8.5 # boost on a stock turbo spec motor. 6.9 cr, factory pistons, CR. The head needed some mods. K-fisch tuning was a nightmare, and to be avoided, 

Ray knows how to drive and when in '05 I went down to NC to pick the car up he took me for my first drive in it. As we exited the hwy on a long sweeping ramp, just about sideways at high speed, Ray casually offered, "Jack I don't know about the new M cars but the M E30's an 36's had best stay clear of you in this thing." it came in at 190 hp and in a 2200# car, that is stimulating. Hell of a ride!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bento said:

US compression ratio on a regular 2002 was something like 8 or 8.3:1, so pretty friendly to turbocharging.

And now that motor is in my shop, ready to be rebuilt for its second life of fun!  ?

Can't wait to score a ride once you get the new turbo motor in.  That might just inspire me to go the turbo route too. 

Edited by wheelieking