• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I use the ST lowering springs?

tdskip

Ah, I was just thinking that if someone had installed Bilsteins at some point, they might still have some life left in them.  Mike has said he cannot tell the difference between the set he installed many years/miles ago and the newer ones in his other car.  (I'm hoping mine last forever).

4 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Ah, I was just thinking that if someone had installed Bilsteins at some point, they might still have some life left in them.  Mike has said he cannot tell the difference between the set he installed many years/miles ago and the newer ones in his other car.  (I'm hoping mine last forever).

Hi, thanks for the response.

I was planning on refreshing the struts while I have everything apart, but hadn’t considered that those would have any significant impact on the ride height.  Do I need to rethink that? 

Picture above is how she sat before I started removing everything  (Engine is still installed in that side on picture)

Well Bilsteins will provide some lift due to the high pressure gas in them but it's not much and seeing as bilsteins are currently mia it looks like koni's are in your future and they shouldn't effect ride height.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Not the best pic (from the side). I will try and find a better one when I can.  

Here is mine with ST springs. 15X7 with 195 55/R15 's Just get a bit of rub over some potholes. (still have to roll the fenders)

Just about a 1/2" drop. 

IMG_1150 2.jpg

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

yes

t

bilstones last forever.  Whether that's good or bad is subjective

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

10 hours ago, tdskip said:

Hi, thanks for the response.

I was planning on refreshing the struts while I have everything apart, but hadn’t considered that those would have any significant impact on the ride height.  Do I need to rethink that? 

Picture above is how she sat before I started removing everything  (Engine is still installed in that side on picture)

No they shouldn't impact height, other than those front strut spacer removal."'Spring" for new Sway bars too! Ha!

Those rear springs don't automatically fit perfectly into the spring pads on the way down. Just make sure you guide them into place. I also wired the front ones to the top of the strut so they stay properly oriented. Tech article goes through that too.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

9 hours ago, tdskip said:

Thanks for all of the responses.

i am using the period funky alloy wheels the car came with, so 185/70/13s. Any issues with tire rub there?

Thanks for the picture @Vicleonardo1

Hard to be definitive with the topic. Each car is a bit different and the springs/shocks combo may have slightly different results. (Plus I have the big bumpers). Surprising differences in some tire brands and whether there is rubbing or not. 

The wheel/tire combo I chose should be the same DIAMETER as yours. Not sure if my tire width is the issue. I Just need a little fender rolling. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

1 hour ago, steve oneill said:

I am told there are spacers in the front springs to bring the headlights up to the correct level. What ever that is. I am taking the spacers out which will result in a 3/4" drop in the nose. That should also help with cornering.  

Steve

Hi Steve.

Federal regulations change the 1974 and in response many manufacturers simply raised the ride height of their cars for the USA market. Some manufacturers, and I’m not gonna name names but they’re British, only raise the front of the car and left the back alone so you had a reverse rake as they were shipped from the factory.