• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The true successor to the 02 Touring?

02Anders

Warning: This is NOT 02 content!

But if you enjoy older BMW’s, I’m pretty sure you’ll like it anyway...  ?

A while back, someone on here started an excellent thread along the lines of which dream BMW you would choose to compliment the 02 already in your garage.  A few of us ended up getting rather excited about the E36 Compact and perhaps hijacking the thread just a little bit.  Well, now I’ve done a write-up on mine, and interestingly for all of you living elsewhere than mainland Europe, it’s the 6-cylinder BMW 323ti Compact which is largely unknown outside of Europe.  Which is a real shame too, as this little gem is perhaps the true spiritual successor to the equally awesome BMW 2000tii Touring which BMW launched 26 years earlier...

Check it out and let me know what you think:

https://viaretro.com/2020/07/bavarias-best-kept-youngtimer-secret/

5322591A-C731-496B-A62F-51634C6D25FF.jpeg

• Like 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

Very nice read!  Thanks for posting.  That pretty much sums up the e36/5 for me as well.  Unfortunately here in the states, the 6 cyl was never available.  Therefore after spinning a bearing in my 99 ti at WGI, I had first thought of dropping in a 6 to replace it.  A big thanks to Mike Self for talking me out of it and returning the ti to near stock.  At the same time a 98 ti popped up in central Jersey with a 6 cyl swap.  Decision was easy, sold my e39 with almost 200k and used the cash to pick this up.  I LOVE IT!  cant wait to finish up the rear suspension and get it on the track.  It's a little rough to look at but it's got it where it counts!  Last picture is of the 99,  5 speed, Cali Roof.  Love that one even more!

20200415_124004.jpg

20200415_123949.jpg

24957.jpeg

• Like 2

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I really enjoyed my ti while I had it.

There was one with an s52 swap for sale here a while ago.  I didn't go look because I knew I'd buy it.

That car is beautiful Anders.  The m3 wheels and clear corners are perfect.

I do miss mine.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

The 6 cylinder must be a hoot, @02Anders.

I've got a 318ti 4 cylinder automatic which I drive to the shop and back each day. It's reliable, gets 25 mpg, has cold A/C and I can fit a set of race tires in the rear hatch, which is all I ask of it. The handling is superior to many of the modern econo-boxes I've driven. -KB

Note: I may be selling this soon, PM me if you're an 02 owner in Southern California and might be interested, I'll get back to you when the transaction to replace it finalizes.

• Like 3

Back in the day, the late Pete Mc Henry built a 318ti with an E36 M3 motor and the requisite suspension and brake mods to go along with the motor.  It was something else!

When the ti first came out in 1995, I managed to snag a stick shift press pool ti for a couple of weeks to do a Roundel story--drove it to work and then from Dayton to Gateway Tech (remember them?) in St Louis and back.  My conclusion:  "BMW, you've built a great 1600; now how about building us a 2002?"  

The model would have been a huge success here if BMW hadn't built and marketed it in the US as an entry level car "for those who couldn't afford a fancier E36."  If they had sent the 323ti to the US, we'd still be getting BMW hatchbacks...

IMHO

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, mike said:

The model would have been a huge success here if BMW hadn't built and marketed it in the US as an entry level car "for those who couldn't afford a fancier E36."  If they had sent the 323ti to the US, we'd still be getting BMW hatchbacks...

IMHO

mike

I personally know of half a dozen 1 series hatches that would be sold within 30 minutes of me.  Buddy went down and did a race in Mexico where a guy had a 1 series hatch- brought back pictures- we all would have bought one on the spot.

(And for sure that was before I got so deep into this car.  I think I'm riding this one out...)

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Oh how I wish we got the 323ti over here, but that being said, I don't mind the little M44. It's quite revvy, extremely economical, and reliable. In terms of it being the spiritual successor to the 02 touring, I 100% agree. My 02 was my first car. When it came time to get something a little more modern (this was back in 2012), the TI is what I chose - it's just modern *enough* but still simple. In fact, I've only owned 3 cars in my life, 2 of which were TIs.

I will ALWAYS extol the virtues of the TI, in fact I wrote a similar piece: https://bimmerlife.com/2019/12/22/the-case-for-the-unloved-hatch/

@02Anders, well written piece. I just hope you don't sell it! It's such a great little car you have there. 

318tiPacificGrove.JPG

Edited by FunElan
  • Like 1

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

Thx for your comments gents!
I knew there were others here on FAQ who (rightly) appreciate the little E36 Compact.  They're hugely underrated cars which should be able to put a smile on any enthusiast's face.

@FunElan, equally, a well written article you had published on Bimmer Life.  Just a shame you didn't include the tale of the Euro-market-only 323ti as I feel this model adds another dimension to the story of the Compact.

Let's see how things proceed with mine.  I genuinely don't want to sell her.  But the thing is, I feel that way about all my cars, yet something needs to go.  So the plan is to put several cars up for sale and see which ones go first.  What's left will be what I end up keeping and if the 323ti ends up staying in my garage, that's a good thing...  ?

• Like 2

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

I was on vacation in southern France a couple years ago and came across this 1 series 2 door hatchback that has a semi-resemblance to a M/Z3 coupe. Too bad BMW has not decided to sell the 1 series wagon in the US market but I guess that they want to stay in the high end market and don't want to take away Mini sales with the 1 series wagon. My rental car while there was a 1 series 118d turbo diesel 4 door 6 speed hatchback. Newer BMW's don't get me real excited but I really liked the 118d. Great car and it delivered awesome gas mileage.  Pierre on this forum has a 96 E36 318ti that he did a S52 conversion complete with M/Z3 roadster rear subframe conversion.  I hear it's a wild ride.

26685595_10211141614842176_5220081181892756776_o.jpg

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

@Gordon, I must confess that the 1-series gets just a tad too modern for me.  I used to own an E46 330CI Sport and even that got a bit soulless, cumbersome and detached for my liking.  But if you don't mind the newer cars, then I suppose the first-generation 3-door BMW 130i Sport might be fun too.  Personally though, I would much rather continue enjoying my 323ti Compact...  ?

• Like 1

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.