• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bosch SR440X / M3 Starter Alternatives

Mucci

Sometimes I can really get sucked into a Matrix of part number cross referencing to find deals....and this one was a doozy.

It's been stated many times that the best starter upgrade for our cars is the Bosch SR440X that came in the E30 M3. It's smaller, lighter, and more powerful. It's also not cheap, at around $200+ for a remanufactured unit.

So I started looking for alternatives and found this unit by Valeo, #594085, which is listed as fitting the E30 M3.

EBay Valeo 594085 Starter 88-91 BMW M3 2.3L-L4 NEW

$115.50 shipped (New)

Then the same Valeo 594085 starter here for cheaper

$82.99 shipped (New)

Shall we go deeper?...

I then found this unit by "Gladiator" that's said to be a replacement for that Valeo 594085

eBay: Gladiator 19670

$55.11 shipped (New) - 1yr. Warranty

Part Number: "5840133 IS1279 IS 1279 19670" (That's probably several different part numbers but that's what's listed)

I don't know anything about Gladiator as a brand so if someone can find some info that'd be great.

Valeo I know is nice quality. I've had a few VW's that use their alternators as OE parts and they are NOT cheap.

If anyone can add more info to this I'll be happy to include it.

This post brought to you by Adderall. 

Edited by Mucci

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

Well, the first seller has a store with nothing automotive, would you buy from them?

The second seller has a website address ending in .xyz.  Feeling lucky?

The third seller has automotive items but at that price I wouldn’t trust it.

Lots of options doesn’t always give you a good result.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

5 hours ago, HBChris said:

Well, the first seller has a store with nothing automotive, would you buy from them?

The second seller has a website address ending in .xyz.  Feeling lucky?

The third seller has automotive items but at that price I wouldn’t trust it.

Lots of options doesn’t always give you a good result.

Those are just example links. You can plug the part numbers into google and seek them from wherever your skeptical heart finds solace. :)

I ordered something like this quite sometime ago: Many many cross ref numbers that are confusing. But seems to be the one in many similar 3.5l Bmws.....

Followed a tip from RoadHogO and got one like this from Ebay:

Update: This is the actual one I purchased: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-BMW-Marine-B630-B635-Gas-86-87-12411333980-12-41-1-466-100-410-24065/362958089752?hash=item5481fcee18:g:ZGUAAOSwmuheyj6k

Haven't had time to install it. Bought it as a Hoarding item: But I am assuming it is wired the same as a SR440X etc...New item at half the price. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Check RockAuto.......

3410619 - 74 1802 Verona Touring

3460120 - 74 Verona Touring....... (Sold) sent off to LA.

2760306 - Ultimate driving machine Skidmark 204 car. 72 Inka (Sold)

Formerly the old and slow division of Skidmark Racing. 

You really ought to consider the one from the M30-powered cars.  For similar weight/performance as the M3 starter, it's a lot more affordable.  Either starter is such a significant upgrade that you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the two.

• Like 2

I've heard of Valeo, think they are made in Mexico.

Probably the only way to see if any of these non Bosch motors are worth a rats ass is to buy one and see if its any good.

Gladiator?  $55?  Whats in there? Aluminum windings? No way.

Just spend the money and buy a Bosch, second choice Valeo. Haven't you suffered enough??

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

As I just said on a recent thread, the M30 starters are heavier by a couple pounds.  It is noticeably heavier than the s14 starter.  If you're building a race car, the S14 is the way to go.... if it's a street car....sure late-model M30B35.  If it's ok, I'd rather not need to keep correcting this.

Mucci, I've gone down the part number/manufacturer number rabbit hole before.... my general rule of thumb is that it's worth trying it out if/only-if you can afford to walk away from it in the likelyhood that it doesn’t work out.  There are times where "brand" quality doesn't matter nearly as much as "batch" quality.

*edited from early e12 to late m30b35 fitment, as per correction. 

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 5

Why do people make the distinction of E12 when referencing the M30 starter? Are E28 M30 starters not the SR441X?

Edited by Mucci

Mucci, 

I think we have all been in your situation. I persistently and constantly get caught up in searches, research, and subsequent brain lock. I constantly wonder if I am getting a great deal or screwed on almost all my purchases.  What also happens you will discover that there are just few manufacturers providing products and selling them under many different names...including BMW...Bosch....etc. 

It is up to you to spend three times the amount of a starter with a reputable name on it.  and hopefully that batch will be reliable vs spending 1/3 as much on the same starter possibly from the the same manufacturer without a reputable name on it. 

There are a million model numbers with the same case size, teeth rotation etc. and as AceAndrew said, you may be looking at a 3 lb savings between the M3 version and others.

The Kw power of the new manufactured Ebay starters (up to 1.7 Kw) is about 3X as much as the original 02 starter. 

The one I purchased on Ebay from DB Electrical (see my edited link above) has the reputation of being reliable based on reviews here. It has a one year warranty.   It takes about 1/2 an hour or so to replace the starter.  You can buy an expensive one, or buy three bargains... 

Be sure to check the wiring some of the posts are different on the different models. Some of them have the starter/trigger at the 6:00 position. You can fry the solenoid if you don't have it wired correctly. Lots of information here. 

Good luck. Look forward to meeting you on a local drive or meet someday. 

Cheers! 

Vic 

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

3 hours ago, Healey3000 said:

realoem.com is your friend for stuff like this.

realoem isn't going to tell me the weight advantage or compatibility for an 02.

27 minutes ago, Mucci said:

realoem isn't going to tell me the weight advantage or compatibility for an 02.

But it will tell you what models use the same part. I’m not skeptical I’m practical. 

• Like 2

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix