• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bilstein B6 unavailability

I have been looking for lowering springs and slightly-stiffer-than stock-dampers.  IE can fix me up with their stage 1 spring set and Bilstein B6 rear shocks, but no fronts.  Another vendor I talked to said his supplier contacted Bilstein, and they have no stock and seem to be going away from "aftermarket" shocks.  Waiting for something that may never come is not part of this resto project.  Is there an alternative that's not KYB?  Has anyone had a good experience with KYBs?  I'm currenly skunked.  Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

- Rob

SS-

A gold star for you, sir!  I have ordered them, and they *haven't* told me (yet) that they can't ship because they are out of stock.  So, keeping my fingers crossed.  I also went ahead and bought the B6 rears from IE.

- Rob

I've put several sets of KYB's on the fronts of TR6's (rears on a TR are lever shocks), for other people and get varying reports.  I ran a set on my own TR in a rally and hated them.  I removed them when I got home.  Junk IMO. Compression is so stiff that it feels like the car is going to explode when you hit a pothole.  From the standpoint of cornering, they're an improvement over stock for a TR, but still too damn stiff.   

Edited by Tdh

I put KYB inserts  on the front of my '69--shot in less than 35k miles, while the Bilstein fronts I installed around 1981 on my '73 are still going strong after 140k or so miles.  Maybe KYBs have improved since then but I wouldn't count on it.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite