• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Melted square light housing

tech71

More "scope creep"

Took a close look at the tail light assys on Survivor today and found the brake light compartments on both sides heat damaged/ melted.

The reflective coating is also mostly obliterated.

Both sides had 1157 (27W) bulbs installed instead of 1156 (21W). 

Yeah, its stamped right into the housing "21W"

They both still work but the destroyed reflective surface just wont do at all, especially since I will be going back to the proper 21W bulb.

I have aluminum and stainless steel tape here... Hmm.

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

2 minutes ago, tech71 said:

More "scope creep"

Took a close look at the tail light assys on Survivor today and found the brake light compartments on both sides heat damaged/ melted.

The reflective coating is also mostly obliterated.

Both sides had 1157 (27W) bulbs installed instead of 1156 (21W). 

Yeah, its stamped right into the housing "21W"

They both still work but the destroyed reflective surface just wont do at all, especially since I will be going back to the proper 21W bulb. Don't even talk to me about LEDs right now?

I have aluminum and stainless steel tape here... Hmm.

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

If you really want it to pop use Gloss white paint. Works much better that reflective paint/tape.

Hot Rodders recommend that if you need brighter brake lights. Testing shows a pretty significant improvement. 

You could reduce the heat if you move to some LED bulbs. (Some LED bulbs can get really hot too). 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Thanks! gloss white paint sounds like a plan later on, for now the tape job will help and it patches those big holes.

That along with a thorough washing to remove years of crud inside the lens covers made a big improvement.

So far this week: wipers, heater box and all lights reinstalled and ops checks good!

Going to pass on the LEDs? Too many tales of woe here on the faq with the words "LED" "smoking" and "melting" in them.

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Just spraying with good silver paint also helps quite well.  Simple & inexpensive fix.

Edited by 02fanatic

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Make sure the brake light switch isn't either misadjusted or stuck in the "on" position.  My '69 was delivered (new) from the dealer with a misadjusted brake light switch so they were on all the time (so much for "dealer prep")  By the time I got home from the dealership, the inner refractors on both brake light lenses were melted, and I had to go head to head with the dealer to get them replaced.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite