• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 2002Tii, removing back of ignition switch

Slowhand

How do I take the wiring off the back of my '74 2002Tii ignition switch?  I've removed the dashboard and am pulling all wiring harnesses out of the car.  Wiring into the back of the ignition switch is holding me up.

I've just started to dismantle.  Any and all suggestions welcome; never have done something this complicated.  Am trying to eat this elephant one bite at a time, so any conversations and guidance will be appreciated.IMG_3335(1).jpg

Putting my 74 tii back together - one bolt at a time.

I think the original answer to this post was lost in the data shuffle, so here 'tis again.  

With the battery disconnected (as there are live wires back there) examine the back side of the ignition lock; the bakelite switch portion is held to the lock portion by a couple of small screws.  You should be able to unscrew those two screws and the switch will separate from the lock.  If you remove wires from the switch, mark 'em carefully so you get 'em back in the correct order.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Excellent! Thank you.  I may not need it now, but I’ll definitely keep a copy with my disassembly photos.  Never know what I’ll need for reassembly.

Is this photo a 1-off or is it from so type book or collection on 2002 repair/restoration?

Putting my 74 tii back together - one bolt at a time.

It's my old ign. switch that I took apart (note the nuts and bolts holding it back together).

I have not found a picture anywhere that shows the correct wiring.

John

PS: The "P" terminal is only hot (12V) when the ignition is off. Not sure what this was for....maybe key buzzer or alarm connection??

9 minutes ago, John76 said:

The "P" terminal is only hot (12V) when the ignition is off. Not sure what this was for....maybe key buzzer or alarm connection??

I bet that's the parking lights. 

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

If you are completely removing the harness from the car, I suggest pulling everything into the cabin, then removing the entire assembly from there.   

Trunk wires pulled into cabin from left bulkhead

Engine bay and nose wires pulled into cabin from front bulkhead (you’ll have to disconnect the wires from the fuse box)

Reverse switch (and any seat belt interlock wiring and e-brake wires) from tunnel into cabin.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"