• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash Control Labels for Vintage Dash

David Layton

20 hours ago, Conserv said:

I believe Just Dashes offers printed labels as an extra-cost option — Andrew, is that accurate? — and, I believe, is aware of the changes in controls over time. That’s the model Vintage Dash should follow, as many — but certainly not all — of their customers will want to reproduce the factory appearance on U.S.-spec ‘02’s.

Just Dashes reprints the control labels & shift pattern as part of the dash restoration, they offer 4 & 5 speeds as an option. I went with correct 4 speed even though my car has a 5 speed.  

• Thanks 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

9 hours ago, Mike A said:

would a PM to Mo be the ticket?

I would do that.  I have a set of stencils from him.  They look good but I haven't used them yet.  Still looking for a perfect lower dash to complete my set.

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Why add stencils or labels to the dash when they were not meant to be there by the factory in the first place ? They are a result of  US regulations, only. The icons on the knobs, which are understood universally, are more than enough to identify their functions . I don't think the 66 1600s even had the icons, but I'm not entirely sure. By 67, though, they were in place.

2 minutes ago, Slavs said:

Why add stencils or labels to the dash when they were not meant to be there by the factory in the first place ?

I agree, but my car was delivered with labels so I default to originality. I could be talked out of applying labels because it could be tricky and I'd hate to screw it up.   ?

73 Inka Tii #2762958

My '73 has an upper dash replacement from Maximilian when it went under restoration 15-20 years ago by a previous owner. It had no labels when I purchased the car, and the car isn't 100% original.  I have no intentions of showing the car competitively (been there with another classic car, and have no desire to compete against fully restored trailer queens).   So I had the choice of labeling the dash (for originality), knobs or both. I chose (actually the wife did)  knobs for a cleaner look and easier application since the knobs are removable. The labels from Mo were top notch. The only downside is the cig lighter, which slowly rotates in its socket when driving, so the label is never straight.

• Like 1

The one piece Euro spec dash that I scored at an automotive flea market in Germany has no fasten seat belt billboard, gear shift pattern or writing for the pull knobs. 

163550933_10219740922339489_210045998612748648_n.jpg

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Hi Guys,

Thanks for thinking of me and I know it has been some time since I have posted on the forums.  I do miss chatting with you guys and reading up on whats going on.....

I am working on new projects and hopefully will be in touch with both this and the e9 forums in the near future.

I still make and sell all of the dashboard lettering/symbols/shift patterns and may post an update here to refresh where to buy them and how to install them.  

If anyone has direct questions regarding buying decals just message me and I will get you an answer.

Thanks again to all,

Mo 

• Like 1

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

• 1 year later...

I believe US cars changed over from the small diameter pictograph knobs to the larger, plain knobs with the other trim changes on model 71 cars (257/8/9xxxx VINs)

Posting to an ancient thread to add my data for future searchers. My Sep. 1971 mfg. (sold as 1972) VIN 2577438 had pictures on the knobs with no dash decals (other than shift pattern).

My wipers are controlled by a turn stalk switch, so lower right pull-switch on the dash is blank.

Edited by skylund
Correction

'71 inka 'Ingrid'