• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash Control Labels for Vintage Dash

David Layton

The folks at Vintage Dash responded to my questions regarding Clock cutout (will be marked on back) but were still needing to figure out the gear pattern and pull switch labels.  I remember my 68 did not have the labels but the symbols on the knobs.  The gear pattern appears to be either a stencil, stamp or tampo decal.  How were the switch markings done?  Personally, I would like to find the picture knobs, but I would like to have the 5 speed pattern on the dash.

Anyway, I would like to find the answer to respond to Vintage Dash.

Edited by David Layton

Lights, Fan, Lighter, Wipers.

1968 1600 Knobs.jpg

Lighter Correct.jpeg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

The labels on the dashboard, for both the knobs and shift pattern, were mandated by U.S. regulations, regulations that were effective — maybe, I can’t recall my ‘70 — January 1, 1969. The symbols on the knobs, in lieu of labels, represented BMW’s original approach — sort of like the chrome-trimmed dashboards — and continued on Euro-spec cars long after U.S.-spec cars had switched over. I don’t even know if Euro-spec square taillights use knob symbols or labels adjacent to the knobs.

Replacement dashboards, however, were generally (always?) Euro-spec items in that they arrived without the lettering even if you were buying them in the U.S. (If you needed a new dashboard in the 1970’s, your car was probably totaled, so we didn’t see replacement dashboards in the early “pre-cracking” years.)

I don’t know what method BMW originally used to create the labels and shift pattern, but I don’t believe it was a decal.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Later US dashboards have painted labels. My Euro 3.0CS has pictograms on the knobs.

IMG_0759.jpeg

Athena Interior.JPG

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

My 11/70-built 1971 US-spec car has the pictograms on the knobs, as shown in Andrew's first post above. The shift pattern is the only printing on the dash itself. 

...Well, it's not EXACTLY like Andrew's first post, since his appears to be an early Euro-spec car, with the unpadded cluster binnacle, KPH speedometer, chrome dash trim and no hazard switch on the tray to the left of the cluster. And I'm certain his car is nicer than mine. But the knobs are the same! 

-Dave

• Like 2

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

I don’t know what method BMW originally used to create the labels and shift pattern, but I don’t believe it was a decal.

I believe US cars changed over from the small diameter pictograph knobs to the larger, plain knobs with the other trim changes on model 71 cars (257/8/9xxxx VINs), and gained labels for each switch--think they were silk-screened onto the instrument binnacle.  My Feb '69 production car has the shift pattern silk-screened onto the dashboard (and of course the small pictograph knobs), and IIRC the US spec '68s did also.  

Someone in the past made a very nice transfer (decal) with the 5 speed (OD) pattern that could be used to replace the 4 speed pattern (which cleans off with some sort of solvent, don't remember which).

mike 

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mo Faraz made dry transfer shift patterns. and other labels for '02s & E9s. Haven't seen many posts from him lately.

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson

21 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Mo Faraz made dry transfer shift patterns. and other labels for '02s & E9s. Haven't seen many posts from him lately.

+1

He provided a very complete set — even including Behr A/C —but they weren’t easy to transfer cleanly, or maybe that was just me! ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, David Layton said:

Those are the threads.  Last post was in 2019.  I will reach out to Mo.

David,

On the subject of dash labels, I’d recommend caution with what you tell Vintage Dash, for fear that they’ll attempt to make “one size that fits all”! They, and their customers, are probably best served by not labeling new dashes until specifically requested by customers. And then they need to recognize that the dashboard switches changed over time. For instance, late ‘71 and most (all?) ‘72’s had heater blower switches next to the instrument cluster. But for ‘73 — or maybe it’s late in the ‘72 model year — the blower switch moved to the slide controls. Square taillight cars got a new “Front Foglamp” switch in the lower left position adjacent to the instrument cluster.

I believe Just Dashes offers printed labels as an extra-cost option — Andrew, is that accurate? — and, I believe, is aware of the changes in controls over time. That’s the model Vintage Dash should follow, as many — but certainly not all — of their customers will want to reproduce the factory appearance on U.S.-spec ‘02’s.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

Timely thread... Having recently wrapped my cracked dash on a 73 I lost the stenciling. Anyone have contact info for replacement, or would a PM to Mo be the ticket? Thanks, Mike 

• Like 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?