• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Vehicle Added: BMW '02s : 73 Sahara 2002

Javi Gutierrez

That makes the third Sahara '73 in our part of Ohio--yours, mine and Jim Denker's.  Javi, your VIN is about 700 lower than mine, so my guess is mid-late Nov 72 production date.  

Cheers, and welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 3 weeks later...

Oh hey guys! For some reason I wasn’t notified about the replies ?

Haven’t been able to take decent photos of the car since it’s winter and all, but I’m a photographer and can’t wait for warmer weather so that I can take some nice ones.

On 1/22/2020 at 3:12 PM, ingramlee said:

Did you finally find an 02? I would love to see photos. Is it running?

I think I showed you some of these already, but here you go!

On 1/22/2020 at 4:51 PM, mike said:

That makes the third Sahara '73 in our part of Ohio--yours, mine and Jim Denker's.  Javi, your VIN is about 700 lower than mine, so my guess is mid-late Nov 72 production date.  

Cheers, and welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority.

mike

Thanks Mike! And also thanks for all the recent help with my mechanical questions. Hopefully I can return the favor soon (maybe with some photography?)

On 1/22/2020 at 7:06 PM, borgpj said:

Welcome to the 1973 Sahara fraternity, Javi.  We have 2589458 up here in Michigan. 

Yours is Sahara too?

C4F04934-DF66-410E-90FE-C9EBE9ECCD1D.jpeg

030D2671-4234-4F16-8A74-FF463B688B86.jpeg

3886FC0B-1AB7-4F91-92D2-E16B56BEE6FD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, javi_gutierrez said:

Looks really nice! Would love to see more pics. What fog lights are those btw?

Thank you! It is really a needy 20 footer, but it’s loads of fun. Fog lamps are Hellas with yellow lenses.

24948DA8-1684-49F4-99F5-6F07ABCCF521.jpeg

A985601E-C4D4-47F1-BA14-B55A12C3CA4D.jpeg

7122B449-316E-429B-8328-32A2505DFFB3.jpeg

• Like 1

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

74 Sahara tii owner here who repainted in the original color before some minor body mods were done, i.e., side marker/reflector delete and diving board to Euro bumper conversion. Rest of the car is a resto-mod conversion.  No regrets, Sahara rocks!

13230174_1405865609430962_7939840583216488232_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

1 hour ago, javi_gutierrez said:

Always been a fan of the Euro bumpers! Maybe it'll be something I change on mine in the future

Javi,

The things you’d need to convert your 1973 U.S.-spec bumpers would be:

Front Bumper:

1. Pre-1973 model bumper brackets (which would pull your bumper in by 1” or so).

Rear Bumper:

2. Pre-1973 model bumper brackets (which would pull your bumper in by 1” or so).

3. Center section cut for bumper-mounted license plate lights (you can also cut your existing bumper yourself);

4. Euro license plate lights; and

5. Smooth seam covers to replace your U.S.-spec bumper overriders.

At the front, the holes in the front fenders for the bumper ends move backward slightly, so you must drill new holes and plug the old holes. At the rear, a similar process must be undertaken, drilling new holes in the quarter panels and plugging the old holes. I believe all ‘02’s already have a hole behind the bumper (plugged on U.S. models), intended for the wiring of the bumper-mounted license plate lights. And you must plug the old holes that secured your U.S.-spec license plate lights and the plate itself. The wider Euro license plate holder can cover a lot of holes, although you’ll still want plugs to keep exhaust vapors out of the trunk.

That’s pretty much it. Admittedly, Euro conversion of U.S. square taillights, with their U.S.-only big bumpers, makes for a much more dramatic conversion!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks for the info Steve! I was actually under the impression that Euro bumpers would move in closer to the body than only 1 inch. From photos that I've seen around, I tend to like the bumpers as close as possible to the body and with small/non-existent over-riders. Not something that I would consider any time soon, but it's definitely a look that I enjoy. I'm also happy with keeping the car as stock looking as possible, so maybe it'll never happen... who knows!

3 hours ago, javi_gutierrez said:

Thanks for the info Steve! I was actually under the impression that Euro bumpers would move in closer to the body than only 1 inch. From photos that I've seen around, I tend to like the bumpers as close as possible to the body and with small/non-existent over-riders. Not something that I would consider any time soon, but it's definitely a look that I enjoy. I'm also happy with keeping the car as stock looking as possible, so maybe it'll never happen... who knows!

Javi,

The rear bumpers, either Euro or pre-‘73 U.S. wind up less than an inch from the rear valance, so they’re “tight”. But front bumpers have to stop another car — at least in theory — before it crushes the pointy prow of the ‘02. So it remains comfortably away from the front lower valance — which is inset.

It sounds like you want a custom “tighter-than-Euro” or “no-bumper” appearance on the front. Both are do-able, but don’t complain when you parallel park and the guy parked in front of you damages your hood, hood trim, nosepiece, grilles, etc, and doesn’t even notice..... ??

Below: 1974 square taillight, Euro-spec, from an English-language 1974 brochure.

Best regards,

Steve

C6845339-902F-432E-AA56-BB1700ACDCBA.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)