• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any wiring/electrical foibles to be aware of as?

tdskip

Well, my plans to work on that 1974 TI got scrambled by other builds but I do expect to have some time to start picking at it again. With that in mind I wanted to ask if there’s anything specific that I should be aware of as a start to bring the wiring/electrical system back up? I’ve already read up quite a bit about various upgraded starter and alternator options, but anything about the overall electrical system or other electrical components to be aware of? 

Thanks gentlemen.

Identify all the grounds everywhere, and clean them. including the voltage regulator / fender mount and the screws/holes attaching the front turn signal housings. '74 already has headlamp relays, right?

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I've had the wires that plug into the alternator get brittle and crack, then break-

the alternator vibrates a LOT.

Taillight housings don't make great connections to the bulbs, by design, unfortunately.

I really like an internally- regulated alternator- the Subaru Justy alternator bolts to the tii,

but you get to modify the adjustment slider.  Or make a new one.  Well worth the effort, 

as the ND alt is so much more durable than the Botch.

Otherwise, the 2002 is better than most '60's cars, electrically.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for all the responses,  Time to break out the multimeter I suppose!

The seatbelt interlock is a great tip, I had a 1974 Triumph TR6  that was uncooperative about starting until I redid the jumpers on it, it was driving me crazy until someone pointed out that has a unique to that model year quirk. Let me do some searching to find out how to bypass that. 

Edited by tdskip

Anything a previous owner modified is a potential foible waiting to become a short or open circuit, leave you stranded or at worse, result in an electrical fire. Be sure to inspect and correct anything that looks questionable with properly sized, rated and installed components. 

8 hours ago, Schon '02 said:

Anything a previous owner modified is a potential foible

That ^

If you see electric tape on any wire... remove and inspect it.  Remove and clean all the fuse connections, while confirming the correct amperage fuse is being used.  Same goes for the tailight bulbs.  Folks have a bad habit of putting in a bulb with a higher wattage to make them "brighter", usually this melts the housing instead.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Further to what Ed said, disconnect the battery and remove the retaining screw from the fuse box, lift it and inspect the connections underneath.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

23 minutes ago, zinz said:

Here’s a picture of some nightmarish “repairs”

3C75D349-C9DD-472B-A31F-A7E8EC798A50.thumb.jpeg.37f64c5f8d91cacec786dd0ffcffb3c5.jpeg

Stuff like this drives me bonkers...

Ed Z

Yikes - just to set the record straight, and counter to popular belief, I did not do that wiring. Grin.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, tdskip said:

I did not do that wiring.

Oh yes... I merely posted that up as an example of what NOT to do.

Let's see...

Incorrect fuses everywhere

Blown fuse... at least one

Green wire went to power a stereo 

Double green/yellow wires went to an electric fuel pump....routed allllll the way to the trunk 

Two black wires went to a separate inline fuse powering lights and signals

Rubbish... all of it

I would suggest here that you try to source bullet fuses with copper and not aluminum.  Make sure the fuse fits snugly in the holder.  Many times one can trace an intermittent electrical glitch to a loose fuse. 

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool