• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Options? AL116X is nla

Paul7002

I have a new AL46X alternator (80 amp) which I bought to replace a not defective alt. My bad. This alt bolts right to the 02 motor if you have the right parts. I say new because although it was sold as a reman, it obviously has never been used- a common scenario, I understand with Bosch remans.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/AL46X

In order to not break any rules on the board I am not going to say it is for sale.

Edited by Chris_B
typo correction

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Thats a bummer if the AL116X is going bye bye.  I am uncertain if any other Bosch Alternator will just "drop in"

Higher output alternators fitted to later E21(?) and early E30s(for sure) are bigger and the mount boss is slightly wider.

You need the mounts off one of those vehicles.

I did find possible AL116X clones/non Bosch on Amazon.   Remy, Delco 

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

• 1 year later...
On 11/29/2019 at 7:39 AM, theNomad said:

I've got an E30 high mount bracket, I'm going to pop on an E21 low mount alt in the next week or two.

Anyone know what’s involved in mounting the higher output later model e21 alternators (eg AL49X) to a 2002tii? Wondering if the lower mounting position of the tii helps...

The lower mount may or may not have the same width as the e21 alt. May need to shim or file the alt. 

The e21 low mount bracket and alt is a no go for the e10, but the tii mount puts it a little lower than the e21 "I think", so it would probably fit. The offset of the pulley is the only other unknown. It'd be worth it to buy one and try, if it can be returned easily.

If it fits then its a minor wiring plug change. 

On 4/12/2021 at 3:16 AM, wilfredski said:

Anyone know what’s involved in mounting the higher output later model e21 alternators (eg AL49X) to a 2002tii? Wondering if the lower mounting position of the tii helps...

And, of course another question is WHY do you need more amps? Stereo stuff? Are you running out?

Sometimes the quest for "more" just for "more" isn't worth the effort.

12 hours ago, theNomad said:

And, of course another question is WHY do you need more amps? Stereo stuff? Are you running out?

Sometimes the quest for "more" just for "more" isn't worth the effort.

Stereo unfortunately. Alternator not keeping up.

12 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Why not have your alternator rebuild locally.

Haven’t been able to find anyone in Sydney who does it unfortunately.

Cheers guys.