• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick electric fuel pump question

Sahara

For a carbureted engine, with a standard aftermarket electric pump (not race-spec or set up for big carbs like dual Weber’s etc) will the pump run continuously at the same load or does it spool up and down to respond to changes in the demand for fuel? 

6 minutes ago, Sahara said:

For a carbureted engine, with a standard aftermarket electric pump

What is a "standard aftermarket electric pump" ?

There are different types of pumps which behave different

Facet / Hardi / Pierburg / Lucas all use different methods of pumping gas.

Is it a rotating or an oscillating pump?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, uai said:

What is a "standard aftermarket electric pump" ?

There are different types of pumps which behave different

Facet / Hardi / Pierburg / Lucas all use different methods of pumping gas.

Is it a rotating or an oscillating pump?

I wish I could tell you. The previous owner installed it and it is mounted in a way the hides the markings. Thanks for trying to help though. 

They pretty much run all the time. The needle valve just opens and closes to let in fuel to the floats as needed.
I have a 4 psi electric pump just above the gas tank and it pumps continuously and as Stephen says the needle valve in the carb float chamber opens and closes as fuel is needed. Only thing to consider is installing an inertia cut off switch to stop the flow of gasoline in case of a collision.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks everybody. I was asking because mine seemed louder than normal and I was wondering if perhaps a regulator had failed and it was trying to work harder/deliver more fuel than needed. If it’s continuous then either my pump is worn out or, and this is equally likely, I was just not used to the sound level after not driving the car for a while. 

Thanks everybody. I was asking because mine seemed louder than normal and I was wondering if perhaps a regulator had failed and it was trying to work harder/deliver more fuel than needed. If it’s continuous then either my pump is worn out or, and this is equally likely, I was just not used to the sound level after not driving the car for a while. 
Mine is always noisy when starting then is less noisy during operation.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Sahara said:

mine seemed louder than normal

You can quiet it a bit by attaching the pump to the car's body using fairly soft rubber mounts--that keeps the pump's vibration from being transmitted to the car's body shell, which will magnify the sound (as does it being mounted in the trunk, which with all those hard surfaces acts as a reverb chamber.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just now, mike said:

You can quiet it a bit by attaching the pump to the car's body using fairly soft rubber mounts--that keeps the pump's vibration from being transmitted to the car's body shell, which will magnify the sound (as does it being mounted in the trunk, which with all those hard surfaces acts as a reverb chamber.

mike

Thanks. I’ve got pretty sporty exhausts so once

the car is warmed up and moving I can’t hear it anyway!

The Carter rotary pump that many people use does claim to have an internal pressure regulating valve:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p4601hp/

(that may not be the exact one used for 02s, I just googled one as an example.  But it is a popular style used on 02s).

I used a carter rotary pump for a while, but found it to be very loud and took up too much trunk space.  I've got an airtec pump from IE now mounted under the car, which is incredibly quiet.

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

3 hours ago, mike said:

attaching the pump to the car's body using fairly soft rubber mounts

The 02 air filter rubber mounts are the cat's meow for this.  The later 2 barrel filter housing mounts are more robust.  The mount's studs do not touch each other.  A bolt and rubber washer do not isolate the motion.

• Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Do you have a regulator. If so which one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002