• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Ward, ICON, and a BMW 2002

Smallpants

I'm a big fan of Matt Farah's podcast, The Smoking Tire. On his latest one he briefly mentioned that John Ward and his company ICON are building a 2002 with the power train out of a new(er)? 2 series. If you don't know about ICON do some Googling to find out how excited you should be about this project if it's true. John Ward is a wizard and his builds are incredible. Here's a Mercedes project ICON is currently working on. 

• Like 3

Almost two years ago, a business partner of mine was interviewing Ward for Intersection Magazine about what Icon Design had coming up next.

He said they were getting into a BMW 2002’s and that he had a network of UPS and postal service workers scouting for them. Me and many other people on this forum love the hunt for our cars and their parts just as much as we love driving them. Needless to say, I was immediately impressed/jealous/protective when my partner reported back to me.

I’ve chilled out though. Mostly because Ward’s son has started coming to our cars and coffee here in LA with his own 2002tii. The kid is very nice and courteous and he loves and babies his car just like we do.

I am excited to think what a modern “M2” could do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1965 Hillman Imp - Rosemarie

1969 BMW 2002 - Dolores

1975 BMW 2002 - Rolf

1984 BMW 533i Swap - Alfons

6 hours ago, hellayego said:

Almost two years ago, a business partner of mine was interviewing Ward for Intersection Magazine about what Icon Design had coming up next.

He said they were getting into a BMW 2002’s and that he had a network of UPS and postal service workers scouting for them. Me and many other people on this forum love the hunt for our cars and their parts just as much as we love driving them. Needless to say, I was immediately impressed/jealous/protective when my partner reported back to me.

I’ve chilled out though. Mostly because Ward’s son has started coming to our cars and coffee here in LA with his own 2002tii. The kid is very nice and courteous and he loves and babies his car just like we do.

I am excited to think what a modern “M2” could do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which cars n coffee?

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

6 hours ago, hellayego said:

He said they were getting into a BMW 2002’s and that he had a network of UPS and postal service workers scouting for them. 

This made me laugh because the first person to come into my garage and ask me about my 02 after I got it and started working on it was my mail carrier. He said he had an 02 when he was in the army and stationed in Germany. Now you have me thinking he was just a Ward plant! 

• Like 1

@bmw_e30 

A number of FAQers have been regularly attending the C&C in Los Feliz last Sunday of the month. 

Good mix of rich folk garage queens and regular folk cool daily drivers; solidly held down by german enthusiasts but still a nice mix of other cars/trucks; people smoke weed openly even though its 7am cuz its LA.

Pretty chill and friendly scene all around.

Find us here: 

https://www.instagram.com/carsandcoffeelosangeles/?hl=en

1965 Hillman Imp - Rosemarie

1969 BMW 2002 - Dolores

1975 BMW 2002 - Rolf

1984 BMW 533i Swap - Alfons

• 4 months later...

do some Googling to find out how excited you should be about this project if it's true. 

what if it's not?

How let down should I be?  

John Wayne's teeth, are they real, are they plastic, are they steel?

t

M88 or it doesn't matter

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

what if it's not?

How let down should I be?  

John Wayne's teeth, are they real, are they plastic, are they steel?

t

M88 or it doesn't matter

Rather M12 IMHO

Edited by uai