• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kerosene heater in garage?

I've found old electric baseboard heaters for free on craigslist, or in the old days little nickle, most run on 220v but there are 110v ones out there, they are somewhat expensive to run but you don't need to run them 24/7 and if you make a stand they can be portable.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I used foil to wrap the glass in that kerosene heater, to block off the light and one night the foil came loose over the flame, causing those little floaty sooty things to fly all over the place. 

I felt really dumb for doing that and even dumber afterwards, due to the loss of brain cells.

I can't even stand to smell a kerosene lamp burning indoors.

I've lit the wood stoves a couple of times already this year.  Not so much for the heat, but to dry the air and remove the dankness.  Wood heat is so dry, that I sometimes put a pot of water on the stove, to increase the humidity.

I've been heating with wood exclusively for almost thirty years.  I suppose I've left quite a carbon boot-print, but I try to be responsible about it and burn dry, good quality, fuel.  I've been lucky the past couple of winters and all of my wood has been free.  You have to be quick, but Craigslist is quite a resource when people just want it gone.  This year, most of it came with free delivery!  It is a lot of work to heat with wood though and doesn't work, if you are not home to feed the stove(s).  Messy too. At least I enjoy playing with fire.

Tom

Get a humidifier. Makes a big difference for us wood burners. 

BTW, don't feel bad about burning wood. If it goes to the dump it gets burned anyway.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I used a Kerosene heater all winter last year while putting my 75 back together. 2 car insulated garage. Make sure to buy the clean burning kerosene if you decide to go this route. My biggest complaint was that I was spending a lot of $ on kerosene. I eventually found a local gas supplier that sold it in 5 gallon drums. Still around $40 for 5 gallons. I've never found a electric heater that could keep my garage warm. However, it was about 10° outside so maybe it may work better for you. 

Something like this... https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/optimus-garage-shop-1200-watt-ceiling-mount-electric-radiant-heater-oum1096.html

One isn't going to heat the whole shop, but they work well locally.  I had one mounted over my work bench.  Couldn't leave it on high.  Made my metal work bench and all tools on it warm, which then helps to warm everything else.  And cheap to run.

In my "shop", which is just an extra 2 car garage at the house, without tall ceilings, I had a natural gas radiant heater installed.  It was a couple of grand for the whole thing- already had a gas supply at the house- and is no joke.  If I want to be in the garage working at 20 below, I can be in garage working and not be cold, be fine to lay on the ground- it's whatever you set the thermostat at...  Insulation helps a lot.  It's a little expensive up front, but there are times when I need to work in the winter regardless of temperature- and I can.  Easily.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I had a kerosene torpedo tube heater, didn't care for the smell/fumes.

I now have a propane heater, both a torpedo style and a convection tower style.

The tower works great for heating up the garage and doesn't require electricity.  The torpedo is more for outdoor work if I want to direct heat towards me/where I'm working, downside is it requires a cord.

My new garage (house build in progress) will have a mini-split setup, for cooling and heating.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

I guess I'll stop complaining about my lack of ceiling height.   I live on a small hill with a walkout basement.  The older homes

here did the garage under house during the 1960's in Michigan .  Mine is 22x30. and is dry as a bone, all winter maybe 50° inside and 70° during the summer even with both doors open.  Plus three more cars in the driveway.   We plan on moving in a year

couple acres and a pole barn. 

IMG_3265.thumb.JPG.c8409a17166a1870d34e7ed90967cc3e.JPGIMG_3266.thumb.JPG.307d46b10dcd4412d980fa2b5993c4cf.JPG