• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best single line aftermarket brake caliper

Pedrocalima

So continuing the long chain of surprises when going to change tires and balance wheels we noticed that the brake calipers that are on our 2002 use only one line. the other one was both ends loose.

Looks like the PO has changed the calipers for some crap aftermarket Brazilian ones and the brake main cylinder also to a cheap local one.

664967653_WhatsAppImage2019-09-18at12_36_11.thumb.jpeg.fceee8697a6ffb11a61b21d74b6fd419.jpeg

677862849_WhatsAppImage2019-09-18at12_35_48.thumb.jpeg.6737d2083873d10a9f438e690cacbcbb.jpeg

Our situation now is that to return everything to stock will cost us a lot. We are looking for the best caliper that would fit into a 13 inch well that uses only one brake line and would work well. The idea is to look for something easily available, type a VW, FORD, GM, etc caliper.

Haw anyone done something like this before? Any guidance would be REALLY appreciated.

One side question, what is the benefit of a double break line going to the caliper instead of one line line on modern 4 piston calipers?

Cheers! 

1)The simplest solution is to look for a stock early single-line caliper set to rebuild.  It will mount to the stock solid rotor with the face-mounted wheel hub.

2)the second solution is to swap over the stock late e21 setup, including hubs (given it is mounted behind the rotor), rotors, and calipers.  This is still a solid rotor (like stock 2002), but you get a bit more mass.  I have not done this swap before, and am unaware if a slightly different lateral dimension exists.

3)From there you go up to kits which utilize the e21 vented rotor and hub (but different calipers).  These are a true upgrade in the classic sense. However, you need to consider figment with the 13’s

A). Best fit+lightest Alfa Brembo aluminum calipers.  These can be tricky to source, but there are ($$) reproductions available from Centerline Alfa.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152898763@N04/albums/72157698889159181

B).  IE wilwood kit.  These are easily available and fairly reasonable.  If you are able to source the e21 hubs/rotors on your own, IE will sell you just the brackets and calipers.

C).  Volvo kit.  This is very common, but it is the least likely to clear your 13’s (especially if your aren’t use calipers with repositioned mounting points).  They are a couple variations, one of which I believe is  meant for a vented rotor and a single line feed.  Typically this is a dual line feed kit, so you will need to specify.

...... or you could swap back to a dual line system.... it may end up being the easiest/simplest.

Hope this helps.(typing this from physics class, so please forgive typos.  I will edit later.)

-Andrew

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 1

I've got some single pot calipers off a 1600. Need rebuild.

When I had my 1600 I saw seriously considering Option #2 from Andrew above. Everything I could find put it as bolt up. You may even be able to use the calipers as they sit and not have to change rotors (not sure on this, I didn't get that far).

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

According to my old BMWCCA Tech Tips book (1976), a caliper from an Opel GT of about the same vintage (68-73) uses the same bolt-up pattern and same brake pads as the single brake line calipers from a single master cylinder-equipped (that would be a pre-1969 US spec car) 1600 or 2002   If the Opel GT used it, other Opel Kadettes of the same vintage should have the same ones.  

Dunno if Opels were manufactured in Brazil at that time, but if so, you should be able to find the requisite caliper.

cheers, and happy hunting

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

9 hours ago, roadhog0 said:

I've got some single pot calipers off a 1600. Need rebuild.

When I had my 1600 I saw seriously considering Option #2 from Andrew above. Everything I could find put it as bolt up. You may even be able to use the calipers as they sit and not have to change rotors (not sure on this, I didn't get that far).

I did Andrew's option 2 on my (then) 1600. I don't recall  having to swap hubs....

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I used the 78 e21 single line caliper which uses stock 02 rotors, no hubs need to be changed unless you go to vented rotors.  This was on my early 69 with the single line master.  Scroll down in the link.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix