• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MK3 VW seats in a 2002?

SoKvlt

I'm looking to replace my seats for something different and unfortunately do not have access to anything recaro even semi local, would love to go e21 recaros but they are out of my current budget and really hard to come across here. However I came across a set of Mk3 VW seats which I find really comfortable (and 1/10th the cost of recaros) and I was wondering if this is an option that could be swapped into a 2002 relatively easy, if anyone has done it. Or if the effort isn't worth it.

Otherwise what are some other options I could look into, ideally seats that would be fairly common and fairly simple. These are just to tide me over until I can source and afford recaros. 

the photo attached is the seats that Im currently looking into buying.

mk3.jpg

72' 2002 Granada (Painted Malaga??) 3rd owner 

Depends. 

If they are the kind with the integral

(odd as hell) VW mounting system, you get to cut the stock 

brackets off and weld up your own.

If they are true Recaros, they have flat bottoms, and are pretty easy.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

7 minutes ago, tzei said:

They have ///M colors - sorta. So that's a plus.

I like the colorway and they're $100, and my brother who professionally sews can stitch the tears for me so there are a lot of nice benefits. However if its going to be a lot of fab work, I don't feel its worth the trouble. 

Biggest issue is finding anything recaro locally that isnt insanely over priced is a major struggle. The only set of e21 recaros or vw recaros Ive found locally they want 1800 and they would need to be recovered and possibly some bolster repairs. 

Do you guys know of any other cost effective options for the interim? 

17 hours ago, TobyB said:

Depends. 

If they are the kind with the integral

(odd as hell) VW mounting system, you get to cut the stock 

brackets off and weld up your own.

If they are true Recaros, they have flat bottoms, and are pretty easy.

t

I just came across a post of yours from a few years ago regarding 1st gen Acura seats, these are a way easier option to find and Im under a fairly tight timeline. Would you be able to elaborate more on what was required to fit those into a 2002?

The do require a bit of fabrication to modify their sliders (it's been ages,

but I recall extending the front bracket and adding a tab to fit the front)

and that was it.  They don't look as 'right' as the VW seats 

(which, at $100, would be tempting)

but they're comfy, far more supportive, and light.

hth,

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

12 hours ago, TobyB said:

The do require a bit of fabrication to modify their sliders (it's been ages,

but I recall extending the front bracket and adding a tab to fit the front)

and that was it.  They don't look as 'right' as the VW seats 

(which, at $100, would be tempting)

but they're comfy, far more supportive, and light.

hth,

t

Im not too worried about their look as its a very temporary solution. Making a 1000Km drive in the middle of september to bring the car back home with me. Once its home floors are being replaced and recaros will be installed after two or three months. So the Cheap/easy/available option is what Im looking for as Ill just be selling or giving them away after. I can get a pair of clean Integra or RSX seats for $50 from a pick and pull here. If the VW seats could be modded in a pinch I would be really happy just to keep those in the car for a while but unfortunately I have 2 weeks to have the car ready to drive. 

I wish my originals were in better condition, they look alright but I wouldn't want to be doing 1000km in them. 

10 hours ago, SoKvlt said:

I wish my originals were in better condition, they look alright but I wouldn't want to be doing 1000km in them. 

I added a pad on top of my driver's seat and it is much more comfortable than it was.  (not winning style-points, but who cares?)

I also removed the panel on the back of the seat and slipped more padding in on top of the springs, for lower back support.

In the past, I removed the seats and put a little more padding on top of the springs in the base, with the original padding still on top of that.

All that to say, you may be able to doctor-up your original seats to be comfortable enough for the trip. 

600 miles isn't really all that long of a trip...  Stop and stretch your legs along the way. 

For $100 if I found a good set I'd be willing to fab up brackets. If you have a welder and grinder It's doable, but yes, takes time. 
I like the look of the VW seats. 
Acura seats sounded like really simple fab to get in. 

Definitely balance the cost of used/fab/styling vs the new offerings. Sometimes buying new will be close to the same after reupholstery/fab etc.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:20 AM, theNomad said:

For $100 if I found a good set I'd be willing to fab up brackets. If you have a welder and grinder It's doable, but yes, takes time. 
I like the look of the VW seats. 
Acura seats sounded like really simple fab to get in. 

Definitely balance the cost of used/fab/styling vs the new offerings. Sometimes buying new will be close to the same after reupholstery/fab etc.

Whatever goes in the car won't be getting reupholstered. Just needs to last me a few months until I bring the car back home, my floors get replaced and my budget opens up a bit. I think I have a track on some black leather integra seats for $50 canadian and they look clean so that will probably be my best option. 

10 minutes ago, SoKvlt said:

Whatever goes in the car won't be getting reupholstered. Just needs to last me a few months until I bring the car back home, my floors get replaced and my budget opens up a bit. I think I have a track on some black leather integra seats for $50 canadian and they look clean so that will probably be my best option. 

If so, i think the integra seats may be easy, i think the 2002 rails might bolt onto them or just need some forcing

• Like 1

I saw someones photo album on here where it showed how they made a small bracket to get them to fit nicely. but I lost the page. Still searching and hoping I find it.