• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Behr vs. Frigiking...?

So my 74tii has a Frigiking A/C unit in it already, but I have a spare Behr unit and related console pieces that I can swap out if I want. Honestly, I like the look of the Behr unit much better, but I was wondering if there were any advantages to running one or the other? A/C is not currently working or charged so now is the time to swap if I'm gonna...

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

I'm widely in the minority but I prefer the look of the Frigiking, it's curvy sides and overall aesthetic fits with the feel of the dash to my eye. But most prefer the Behr as it feels most "German", but to me it is more suited in a Mercedes say. 2 cents!

• Like 1

My tii project had a frigiking in it and I tracked dow Behr evaporator and console for the same reason.  In 81 I had a 72 with th frigiking with old tech in the nose.  So whatever you do get a rotary compressor, parallel condenser and new stuff in front of the fire wall.  The is also that book by a guy named Siegel that I highly recommend.;)

The Frigiking has two design features that may be advantages, the radio mounts high and the expansion valve is externally mounted in rear or the console whereas on the Behr you have to go inside the evaporator to replace it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, David Layton said:

The Frigiking has two design features that may be advantages, the radio mounts high

Definitely better radio mount on the Frigiking--the Behr radio is way down at the bottom of the console, and if you're old school with a CD player (or even older school with a cassette deck) you're gonna have a problem loading/ejecting due to shift lever interference..

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have a couple of Frigiking Evaporators and consoles.  Before I located the Behr components, I was toying with an idea that was above my talent capacity.  This would be to create a new Frigiking Console that had the maintained the dimensions of the Frigiking but in the style of the Behr using a long console layout. This would require its own shift plate as the BMW shift plate is trapezoidal and this would have to be perpendicular.  

However, to do this would require skills with panels and vinyl and forming a plastic front piece shift plate and vents.  Not in my skill set.

1 hour ago, David Layton said:

....This would be to create a new Frigiking Console that had the maintained the dimensions of the Frigiking but in the style of the Behr using a long console layout.

Interesting thought you had: I’ve lived with the Clardy A/C system in my ‘76 since... ‘76, and I’ve often thought that the “bad thing” about the Clardy, like the Frigiking, is the hard plastic console sides, compared to the Behr’s padded and vinyl’d sides that mimic the dashboard’s texture and “give.” But I’ve never gotten around to actually covering the hard plastic console sides! Why has no one done this... yet? Or have they? Photos please!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Great feedback, thanks! So apparently my front console has been mucked with, because the P.O. mounted the radio at the bottom, in the same location as would be on the Behr... :( Consequently, I'm left with a hole/void in the top of the console. So what should this console look like?

20190623_162953.jpg

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

3 minutes ago, AirDoc said:

Adam...that looks like a Clardy if i'm not mistaken ....a Frigiking I had before was much narrower..and the BEHR has a much different look.

Well I guess I'm an idiot then... Sorry, folks. All my prior 02's had BEHR units so I'm not really familiar with the other options...

Adam in Nashville

42 minutes ago, AirDoc said:

Adam...that looks like a Clardy if i'm not mistaken ....a Frigiking I had before was much narrower..and the BEHR has a much different look.

+1

Definitely a Clardy (1975 to ca. 1990), unless it’s an I.C.E. AIR, which is a modern knock-off of the original Clardy.

Below is my ‘76’s Clardy. That big ol’ bump on the right side is the blower for the Clardy (and ICE) units, another challenge in padding and covering those side panels in vinyl.

Regards,

Steve

0C1DC79D-182E-48D3-90E8-9A71E48C9249.jpeg

D5362772-EEEC-40B9-837E-8A7112413E7E.jpeg

10F27D6C-C4B6-4ED3-9127-2954E5959134.jpeg

13 minutes ago, David Layton said:

Clardy did a restyle, you can see it in the two different examples.  I will have to pull up my scribblings on the Frigiking.  

It’s very subtle, mostly in the more matte quality of the plastic faceplate. I wonder if RenaissanceMan’s unit could be an I.C.E. AIR version. The Clardy’s have their year of manufacture and serial number on a sticker on the left side of the evaporator, as below: my ‘76’s unit, manufactured in 1976 is 76 - 047843.

Regards,

Steve

C52DC10F-1757-4C17-93CA-2895C1DAAF98.jpeg

Edited by Conserv