• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 LED Headlight upgrade?

2002ftw

7 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

I was adjusting my h4 housings with led bulbs today. I'm pretty damn happy with the beam pattern.

P_20190529_155649.jpg

Glad you're happy with that. Here's what Hella H4's pattern looks like with traditional bulbs. Note the well-defined edges/cutoffs.

Cheers,

IMG_20190530_002358163.jpg

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

7 hours ago, ray_ said:

Glad you're happy with that. Here's what Hella H4's pattern looks like with traditional bulbs. Note the well-defined edges/cutoffs.

Cheers,

How far from the garage door were you Ray?  I'll try to get a picture this evening with the Hella buckets and SuperBrightLEDs big bulbs for comparison.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

14 minutes ago, irdave said:

How far from the garage door were you Ray?  I'll try to get a picture this evening with the Hella buckets and SuperBrightLEDs big bulbs for comparison.

13 feet, from where the front tire tread contacts the concrete, to the door. I measured for you ;-)

...Not close enough to cover the oil stains on the driveway! :D

Taken without camera flash....

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

6 hours ago, ray_ said:

13 feet, from where the front tire tread contacts the concrete, to the door. I measured for you ?

...Not close enough to cover the oil stains on the driveway! :D

Taken without camera flash....

Cheers,

It's ok Ray, the power steering rack on my '76 leaks a little, too.  Although I hear the z3 rack is a little quicker...

• Thanks 1

Dave.

I started a similar thread a few months ago, but during that time I consulted Daniel Stearn and went H-4.  I ended up going with his harnesses and a pair of Koito 7" headlights which he preferred over the Cibie's.  I have not arrived at the point of setting up the harness and the lights, but I will report in once it is done.  I also have the LED tail light kit from Blunttech and the high mount middle brake light kit that was offered on the site that uses a Hella LED middle brake light so the SUV's may see me.

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

I have Grote 7" LED and I can't imagine ever going back to incandescent.  Tonnes of clear light output with a fantastic, sharp cut-off on the low beam.  High beam is rarely needed.  Highly recommended.  Bear in mind, I'm a heretic that swapped an F20 into my car, so of course the purists won't care for my experience.

Das Moneypit, an F20-swapped 1973

5 hours ago, PatrickMTL said:

I have Grote 7" LED and I can't imagine ever going back to incandescent.  Tonnes of clear light output with a fantastic, sharp cut-off on the low beam.  High beam is rarely needed.  Highly recommended.  Bear in mind, I'm a heretic that swapped an F20 into my car, so of course the purists won't care for my experience.

I am pretty sure the Grote LED's are the same as my Anzo's. I am still in assessment stage as my car is at the shop. (Didn't feel safe driving my 02 at night until a few fixes were made).

No problem with my install it was truly plug and play. No flicker etc. Seemed pretty good with my limited driving at night. But still the jury is out until I get my car back. 

I liked the fact that the housings are designed specifically to maximize the projection of the LED emitters, and the lights themselves don't look like they should be on a UFO. The light is pretty much white and not the cheesy blue or other odd colors. Also, the lights don't have "Angel Eyes", Turn signals, Daytime driving lights etc. 

Just a note. Do some homework, some are just rebranded LED's from the same manufacturer and shop around for the best price. Also to the contrary, some LED's look the same, but may not be the same. (If you check out the video I posted earlier.) I, much like the reviewer on the video, would have sworn that the United Pacific lights were the same as my Anzo's but their testing brought that into question. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

So I finally drove when it was dark enough to need lights.  The SuperbrightLEDs IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE HELLA BUCKETS are terrible.  Light dispersion all over the place on low.  Just terrible.  With the buckets in the car I just sold, Cateye IODE whatever, they were amazing- so if you have those, get some of these bulbs.

I'll look into some of Grotes, maybe the JW Speaker.  But yeah, with the Hella buckets they're terrible.

Edit; I'll leave this for posterity, but I was wrong.  As this was my second set of these bulbs I neglected reading the instructions.  Sometimes I'm just a dumb ass.  I'll post below.

Edited by irdave
  • Like 1

Dave.

Alright, a little digging is showing Grote effective lumens at 291 on low and 767 on high.  JW Speaker is reporting 750 on low and 1260 on high for effective lumens.

I'm ringing JW Speaker tomorrow.  They're about twice the money with 2.5 times the effective light output on low and 175%-ish the light output on high.  That's way better return than the whole 'last 10% costs as much as the first 90' to me.

Grote spec sheet... https://www.grote.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Grote-7-LED-Headlamp-GLB2016-238.pdf

JW Speaker spec sheet... https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/jeep-led-lights-model-8700-evolution-j2-series-off-road-headlights/0554553/

Dave.

Hokay.

Found some JW Speaker lights locally, on sale, so I picked them up.

(In the back of my mind, during this new set of SuperBrightLED headlight bulbs, I've been thinking they just looked upside down...)

So I install the JW lights.  I personally think they look great with the late model front end.  But I've got one flickering (something on the car as when I switch lights it's on the same side of the car) and they both just stay on high beam regardless of switch position.  Even on sale, they're a lot of money.  I'm annoyed.  So I take everything back apart to put in the Hella H4 buckets with the SBLEDs, and that's when I start remembering about adjusting the old set...

Holy crap am I an idiot sometimes.  The bulbs *do* have a very sharp cut off- you just need to rotate the adjuster so it's correct!  I'll get a picture in the next day or so, but Ray, it looks just like your picture because of the Hella buckets, just a lot brighter...

Having said all this, I think I'll go back to my original statement last year of these lights being the bomb-diggity, especially for $85.  I'm into the JW's for a lot of coin, so I'm going to try to get those sorted- and then compare- as they're suppose to be the best of the all the LED lights...

Dave.

• 1 month later...

I bought that exact kit from Amazon last October.  Fit without any problem and much improved over the lights that were on it.  I also added an inexpensive relay kit that installed easily and seems to work just fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHSFLTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not converted to LED headlights. Since I rarely drive this car at night it doesn't seem necessary.  However, it was necessary to replace the flickering candles masquerading as headlights that were on the car when I acquired it.

I bought that exact kit from Amazon last October.  Fit without any problem and much improved over the lights that were on it.  I also added an inexpensive relay kit that installed easily and seems to work just fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHSFLTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not converted to LED headlights. Since I rarely drive this car at night it doesn't seem necessary.  However, it was necessary to replace the flickering candles masquerading as headlights that were on the car when I acquired it.

What year is yours? I have a 73 wondering if there is a wiring harness difference?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk