• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 LED Headlight upgrade?

2002ftw

Hi folks,

I know headlight upgrades are a popular option on the forum, but just wondering if anybody has gone for LED headlights such as these (I know some of you might shake your heads at the sight of LED headlights on a 2002, but Im curious!):

https://www.rigidindustriesshop.co.uk/products/7-rnd-hl-non

If so is there much work involved with wiring?

Any advice appreciated.

Will

I just added LED headlights to my 74. It is my driver and I was tired of not being seen, and not being able to see  with the candles I had burning at the front..

I bought 7" LED's and installed them. After installation I noticed that even when off they flickered like a strobe light. I got hold of the folks at Superbright, whom I did not buy the lights from, and they informed me I needed basically a transformer on each one. All was plug and play and once those were installed they work great and are super bright. I have read all of the articles maybe they are nor perfect, but they are much better than what was original equipment. And if you want to go back to stock, just plug the original headlights back in. No modifications done....

LED Headlights.jpg

2 hours ago, 2002ftw said:

Hi folks,

I know headlight upgrades are a popular option on the forum, but just wondering if anybody has gone for LED headlights such as these (I know some of you might shake your heads at the sight of LED headlights on a 2002, but Im curious!):

https://www.rigidindustriesshop.co.uk/products/7-rnd-hl-non

If so is there much work involved with wiring?

Any advice appreciated.

Will

Are you in the UK? In case you aren't already aware, headlights for right-hand-drive and left-hand-drive cars are designed differently so that oncoming drivers aren't blinded.

Cheers

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Are you in the UK? In case you aren't already aware, headlights for right-hand-drive and left-hand-drive cars are designed differently so that oncoming drivers aren't blinded.

Cheers

LED head lights are obnoxious on any car, go with an Hella H1/H4 set up.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

What I always say in these threads: it's fine as long as you get new housings with optics that are matched to the LED light sources in them, but please don't go popping those Chinese H4-style LED 'bulbs' in plain old H4-halogen reflector housings!  AFAIK all of the 7"-round Jeep stuff like those Rigids is usually fine though.

• Like 1

I have LED bulbs in 7" H4 hella housings. Have great light output however i have been told by other 2002 drivers that i blind them if they drive in front of me. Might need to angle them down alittle more :)

I would never spend $500 of those headlights. Get some H4 housings with some nice H4 led bulbs and your will be set for under $100

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H6024-Pair-7-Head-Light-Housing-Round-Glass-Conversion-Lamp-Set-New/173837750700?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Dcd5e6afd9eeb48ce84a55618e2b5b7f1%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D172506940767%26itm%3D173837750700&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-H4-HB2-9003-2000W-300000LM-4-Sides-LED-Headlight-Kit-Hi-Lo-Power-Bulb-6000K/253624141664?hash=item3b0d2d4760&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVG6VoIfvn6Ffn5xczza71IxevE6jwl49OMKpmLRX%2F5rahOklUiqxcC1q1SGKqNDCIitcBpZjl0rZlDyRbyJhaBSnyjBL12nOd2CMUBVp8qrNDlcAB1I19iGCrMmfdpdbPu0oyLJov707OH38kFqf5yVWwCR0lKcc4hNJe57SaFj04vtFifKSDmTr03kqPJ3STaRSU4zNzCIlUY8O%2Bkb2SSu8qITARLY%2FRr3w5NI5H0cN%2BzVwqxYFmv9lcUZu7eJqW2eQ0tRyIHx9Uiajqv7yolGry%2BakOgE45e9pu5YUutR42CgO5YpxId0OeyPQ2SeYlrX2EoCd2XSKOni0zYeddkyESm9EYIRSkTVfRr2SBIMp2ZUB9OcrFL%2Fe5ihIPnDX%2BwvXK%2BJl%2BD5scs2XgT4GmOBwW0CCQHuzcmKrN%2Fs7lvJQmmDLxVXsYMfJyqIl16dwcHD3OqxF4BQ8i66mD%2BGdWbtfuDiboCnCRcukq6iu7GqC9HYNRsNS3ONZlKHWCdHqueKmUrkKslgAWDfcKzZT03Tu%2FWWTgkby8Dbn%2FI%2FrfgYBel4xd05uVOIhCgF9Bo1ReElnQYmQ2qw9SyKkNUi%2FZhWKP4eSEzLExd9cwHn84rLnQA6IwYS9yVFEEGtS4fH15h7N%2F9FPuT2EoMWL3epQka2JFxFaa3Rz6punEUUEQ4Tl%2FuQH6W8kHppI25sa6OwfRHO0duX3deibDnfeFSUIuM%2F9WR%2Fnb9JGE486u3zL4ppb%2F3d7Yl12gx%2BcjG82FAuEarofFtsojkA6VwoD%2BIvl8OE1xxuCpGakmwTnvJsZK4kVrcnaENk19xyk3owmOtAN4cRstHGzv8UEAkWyR2T8UKWoqbEHlHLeftpyNxfnmhjk1uvcjPT0Iai1%2Bpqjd4U7hVDeA8eaf9XX6%2Fe2EM75uZXGLHPFpBkxtKO2cMt0jF93KHu4hqxf%2BAW7PY%2BQuUjmzIBCmcNiDm6K1P4afSZ2qhA%3D%3D&checksum=25362414166410d4a6ad4dea454eb35d8200c61391ff

Edited by Stevenc22
  • Like 1

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

10 minutes ago, Stevenc22 said:

I would never spend $500 of those headlights. Get some H4 housings with some nice H4 led bulbs and your will be set for under $100

LED bulbs for H4 housings aren't legal except for in Japan in some cases. H4s were designed for a different light source and there are no standards for an LED light source retrofitted into an incandescent housing. If the reason you're dazzling people with your lights is due to focus and not aim, no amount of aiming will solve the problem.

17 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Cheers

Yes indeed, right hand drive configuration (Ireland). I was aware of it but thanks for the heads up as it could be easy to forget!

Thanks to all for the tips. Im going to probably go for a full swapout rather than just getting bulbs but still deciding the style I want to go for. 

19 hours ago, deanres said:

I just added LED headlights to my 74. It is my driver and I was tired of not being seen, and not being able to see  with the candles I had burning at the front..

I bought 7" LED's and installed them. After installation I noticed that even when off they flickered like a strobe light. I got hold of the folks at Superbright, whom I did not buy the lights from, and they informed me I needed basically a transformer on each one. All was plug and play and once those were installed they work great and are super bright. I have read all of the articles maybe they are nor perfect, but they are much better than what was original equipment. And if you want to go back to stock, just plug the original headlights back in. No modifications done....

LED Headlights.jpg

It might be the camera / phone playing tricks, but that looks like a pretty warm white LED? Do you mind me asking what headlamp model you opted for? Also, do you have LED bulbs in the orange side repeater/indicator lights (dunno what you guys call those in the US)?

Edited by 2002ftw

What I bought were these: 7 inch LED Headlight Round 2PCS E-MARK Approved 6000K Hi/lo Beam lamp Halo, Uni-light J004-2pcs. If car manufacturers had LED's available in the 70's they would have used them. They use less power and they are brighter. By the way I took a look at Bobby Rahal's old 2002 Turbo that is for sale at the Werkshop in Libertyville Illinois for just under 200K... It has LED headlights installed also. Completely stock except for the headlights. To answer your question my side light and turn signal bulbs are normal incandescent bulbs.

If you are driving a show car and you want it all stock I get it. If you are actually driving the car daily, others can see you much better, and you can also see them... There is a reason that all of the new cars have LED lighting, it is better, brighter, cheaper, and uses less power.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deanres said:

What I bought were these: 7 inch LED Headlight Round 2PCS E-MARK Approved 6000K Hi/lo Beam lamp Halo, Uni-light J004-2pcs. If car manufacturers had LED's available in the 70's they would have used them. They use less power and they are brighter. By the way I took a look at Bobby Rahal's old 2002 Turbo that is for sale at the Werkshop in Libertyville Illinois for just under 200K... It has LED headlights installed also. Completely stock except for the headlights. To answer your question my side light and turn signal bulbs are normal incandescent bulbs.

If you are driving a show car and you want it all stock I get it. If you are actually driving the car daily, others can see you much better, and you can also see them... There is a reason that all of the new cars have LED lighting, it is better, brighter, cheaper, and uses less power.   

Im inclined to agree. I have a low miler Peugeot 205 and totally stock since 1989, it would be a shame to change that, so I can see where the purists are coming from. But the 2002 Im working on / the one I ultimately want to own is a blank canvas for rebuild and is going to hopefully be a daily driver with some personal tweaks to improve the driving experience for me at least.

Edited by 2002ftw

The other thing is this. I have the stock headlights back in my stash of parts. I didn't change any wiring. This is a plug and play change. When you want to go back to stock, it may take 30 minutes to change back.