• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

after 22 years I now have a 2002 again

I had a 72tii many years ago and ended up selling it once we started to have kids. I've always missed the car and over the last 10 or so years I have been keeping my eye peeled for another. A couple of weeks ago I came across this one, originally from Texas so rust is super minimal, interior is great, looks like one respray. The best part is the kid couldn't get it running or even to crank so I was able to buy it at a very good price. The seller seemed honest in that he has driven it over the last four summers with no issues... until now - I rolled the dice, bought it, and trailered it home. I got it home and it seems to be an intermittent electrical issue to the starter. I changed the oil, got it running and drove it for about a half hour. Everything seems to be mechanically sound as it sure drives great. I'm excited to have one of these again but since it has been many years I hope all of you will bear with me as I am sure I will be asking a bunch of newbie questions as I work to get this dialed in.

IMG_3526.jpg

• Like 16

congrats. looks nice!

I was in the same place as you are now awhile back. The last 02 I had was in '99...a 74 tii. 18 years later I finally caved. I thought I knew alot...

NOT! I'm merely an amateur' compared to the pros residing here. I was promptly humbled... (the first week I stepped outta' line and took a pretty decent beating by some of the sites street 'tuffs...coulda' been Ray and his boys.... but I don't remember.....I'm all good now)

There is ALL the info you'll ever need here on FAQ. Use Google to search ie "2002 FAQ and your issue" for the best results,

This website is hands down the best Auto forum I've been a part of. Alot of sites go  sorta' dormant in the winter...not here.

Edited by iinca
  • Like 3

I gave up on my last "02" back in 1989. Factory black, sunroof, but it needed work, LOTS, I was done, I ended up giving it to my brother.

I started looking in June of 2013, found an "02" in the Los Angeles area. I broke down in December of 2013, decided it was time to get another, flew down to L.A., drove it home. Soooooo glad I did, it's been a GREAT five plus years, met LOTS a cool enthusiast, learned a TON about working on "02's"..........

Looks like a nice car, and welcome to the Faq!

There are many friendly and helpful people on this board, will help you get things running the way it should...

Cheers,

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Congrats! That's a great looking car. I really like the clean look of early cars w/ no lower trim and fewer side markers. You will have fun with this! As already said, this group of people has AMAZING knowledge and passion for these cars, and are great people to get to know. The pro search tip of just using Google vs the site search is a very good one.

More pictures please :)

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

Welcome back to the 02 fraternity/sorority!  Things 2002-wise have changed a lot in the past 22 years--lots more niggly parts available either through BMW Classic (nee Mobile Tradition) or aftermarket, and thanks to 3D printing, some small bits that would never otherwise be repro-ed, are.  

Where are you located (besides atop a hill?)  Be aware that there are a number of 2002 oriented events around the country--two coming up soon are Mid America 02Fest in Eureka Springs, AR the last weekend in April and Vintage in Asheville NC in mid-late May.  Others will chime in on West Coast events coming up later in the year.  

Don't be shy about asking questions; lotsa good answers here

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite