• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good DIY Projects on a 2002?

Given how straightforward the 2002 is, compared to modern engines full of computers and left in hermetically sealed plastic cocoons, my friend wants to help teach his boys about working on cars on something simple. We can show them things like oil changes and tuning carbs, maybe a brake job, but what other projects would you use to teach the mechanics of a car to a younger aspiring gear head? We won’t be machining parts, have access to a lift for weeks at a time, nor work with spring compressors that could bust loose if not used properly, but what would you do? I haven’t gotten my hands dirty in a while, definitely not in an 02, so I’m looking for input. Thanks. 

Seth

1. replace front pads

2. replace rear shoes

• Like 1

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

When it's time:  new water pump, new alternator, new fan belt (all these teach proper fan belt tensioning), carb rebuild.

New motor mounts, new air cleaner element, new radiator, coolant hose replacement(s) w/ coolant to correct level, new headlight(s), replace various bulbs (turn signal, side lamp, etc.), new wiper blades, adjust parking brake cables.

Master cylinder rebuild, slave cylinder rebuild, bleed hydraulic system.

Replace the safety wire on the three bolts which secure the front shock tube into position on the pitman arm.

General all-around check of every single nut & bolt for tightness.

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seth Horwitz said:

what other projects would you use to teach the mechanics of a car to a younger aspiring gear head?

muffler delete

cut wheel arches / install flares

add big wide shiny wheels

cut springs

bumper delete

add air dam

install driving lights

delete knee and belt line trim

replace all bulbs with LEDs

add speakers to door panels

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

muffler delete

cut wheel arches / install flares

add big wide shiny wheels

cut springs

bumper delete

add air dam

install driving lights

delete knee and belt line trim

replace all bulbs with LEDs

add speakers to door panels

(snarcasm)

You left out, “list on Craiglist/EBay with ‘I know what I’ve got, so don’t try to lowball me.”

• Haha 2

Jeez, sky's the limit on this one.  I rebuilt the head on my first 2002 in my college dorm room, using my roommate and a set of hex wrenches to compress the valves! But for an introductory course for kiddos, I supposed I'd start on the following ordered list:

1.) Brakes - rebuild calipers, new fiction surfaces, and bleeding, MC rebuild if you want.

2.) Ignition timing, as @RobC suggested - points/condenser/timing.

3.) Valve adjustment

4.) Carb rebuild/tuning

5.) Coolant system flush, maybe coupled with new pump and/or thermostat

6.) Electrical troubleshooting 101 for any electrical system that doesn't work (I'm sure there's something!)

7.) Rust repair 101, again I'm sure you can find at least a small spot to tackle!

8.) Then maybe on to belts and/or engine/transmission mounts/guibo

9.) Now it might be getting close to time to pull the motor out for a rebuild (or at least the head).

10.) Transmission rebuild

11.) Megasquirt fuel injection

12.) Motorswap

13.) Aww, crap, scopecreep!!!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, OriginalOwner said:

When it's time:  new water pump, new alternator, new fan belt (all these teach proper fan belt tensioning), carb rebuild.

New motor mounts, new air cleaner element, new radiator, coolant hose replacement(s) w/ coolant to correct level, new headlight(s), replace various bulbs (turn signal, side lamp, etc.), new wiper blades, adjust parking brake cables.

Master cylinder rebuild, slave cylinder rebuild, bleed hydraulic system.

Replace the safety wire on the three bolts which secure the front shock tube into position on the pitman arm.

General all-around check of every single nut & bolt for tightness.

Cheers,

Carl

Great list.

Although you did miss off: ‘spray steel wheels with rattle can silver paint’

?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/