• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 245 5 speed conversion ups the value -Yes or No?

Tdh

I got into a debate with a buddy over whether or not the 245 5 speed conversion increases or decreases the value of a 2002.  Based on recent sales, I’d say it does.  My buddy thinks otherwise.  In fact, he’s convinced it’ll significantly decrease the value of round tails in particular.  What do you guys think?

I think it increases the value in most cases.

Exceptions being factory spec rebuilds or survivors with matching numbers.

5 speed, LSD swaps are all positive upgrades that briing added value. I think most 02 buyers view these upgrades as one less thing they have to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I agree with all the previous comments. I feel it adds value except in vary rare cases of low mileage , all original survivors and the special models.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a survivor '72 Tii that i did the 5speed swap right after I bought it in 2002. It is not a garage queen and I take it on long roadtrips often. It increases the value of the car "to me" because I can comfortably drive it  with less strain on the engine and I can actually hear the stereo. On the other hand,I would never install a 5 speed in my '67 1600, that, was restored for posterity.

Value is in the owners personal preference.

dq

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Guest_anonymous said:

What is considered "Value?"

Uggh.  There's one of these in every crowd...

Answer = Please accept my deepest apologies for not clarifying the meaning of "value" as it relates to this post and the query therein.  In this case, the term "value" is meant to express the number of dollars one might receive when selling their car after completing the Getrag 245 transmission swap.  

Very sarcastically yours,

Travis

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tdh said:

Uggh.  There's one of these in every crowd...

Answer = Please accept my deepest apologies for not clarifying the meaning of "value" as it relates to this post and the query therein.  In this case, the term "value" is meant to express the number of dollars one might receive when selling their car after completing the Getrag 245 transmission swap.  

Very sarcastically yours,

Travis

UGGGHHHHHH SORRY TO HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT IN THIS WAY: YOU'RE A DICK. ZERO DOLLAH

DARON

NOT SARCASTICALLY

Edited by Guest_anonymous
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Guest_anonymous said:

UGGGHHHHHH SORRY TO HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT IN THIS WAY: YOU'RE A DICK. ZERO DOLLAH

DARON

NOT SARCASTICALLY

Awe...did I hurt you’re little feelings?  Sorry about that.

Also, you're right.  I’m a colossal dick.  And what the hell is a “dollah?” 

Edited by Tdh

Like any modification, it comes down to the quality of execution. Too many 5 speed conversions are badly done and end up chewing up guibos at an enhanced rate due to misalignment. I am also uncomfortable with the modification made to the tunnel with a BFH - it’s not exactly precision surgery. 

I am sure lots of people do it all right but there will definitely be a few stinkers. 

Edited by Simeon
  • Like 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I am mid way through a high end  factory restoration on one of the earliest 2002tii’s out there, an April 1971 Italian delivery. I have used only new BMW part a or NOS to bring this car back to its original finish. Everything on the car is numbers matching, and almost everything that is date stamped is correct with an early 71 date on it. I have a 4 speed and 5 speed, an open diff and an LSD. When I install the power train you can bet your bottom that I am running the 5 speed and LSD. I justify it in a couple of ways. They’re driver enhancements that are period correct and technically were offered in some form from the factory or from BMW back in the day. They’re easily replaced anyway, it takes less than a day to swap them back out for original gear.

To answer your question, I think in almost all cases it enhances value or at a minimum doesn’t hurt value (assuming the swap was done up to factory BMW standards). I do not expect a 5 speed to increase the value of my 2002tii, but I also do not think I would take a hit on value or criticism for running these options and having the originals on stand by.

-R

• Like 2

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

36 minutes ago, oh2ryan said:

....To answer your question, I think in almost all cases it enhances value or at a minimum doesn’t hurt value (assuming the swap was done up to factory BMW standards). I do not expect a 5 speed to increase the value of my 2002tii, but I also do not think I would take a hit on value or criticism for running these options and having the originals on stand by.

-R

+1

I agree 100% with this paragraph, Ryan.

I will admit, however, that, despite the easy reversibility of a 5-speed, taking a BFH to my ‘76’s one-owner drivetrain tunnel would be a bridge too far for me.

I note also that an overdrive five-speed was never a factory option on an ‘02. Those smart BMW engineers and test-drivers knew damn well that an ‘02 below 3,500 rpm’s might as well be a Pinto with sway bars....??

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

2 hours ago, coloincaalpine said:

I have a survivor '72 Tii that i did the 5speed swap right after I bought it in 2002. It is not a garage queen and I take it on long roadtrips often. It increases the value of the car "to me" because I can comfortably drive it  with less strain on the engine and I can actually hear the stereo. On the other hand,I would never install a 5 speed in my '67 1600, that, was restored for posterity.

Value is in the owners personal preference.

dq

you mean this thing?

DSCN2991.JPG

• Like 1