• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 245 5 speed conversion ups the value -Yes or No?

Tdh

On 3/16/2019 at 3:21 PM, halboyles said:

Here is a cheat sheet I put together for the 5-speed conversion in the early '80s at Simpson Motorsport.  Should have bought a dozen or so at the time.

5-speed Close Ratio.jpg

Hal this is amazing. Is this for the Getrag 235/5? This saved me quite a lot of searching if so.

Thanks!

Value: hmmm....

I really liked my 4 speed when it was mated to the 3.64 differential. 

I really like my five speed mated to my 3.91 LSD

After experiencing both, If given the choice I really dont know if I would pay more for one over the other.

To me the 5th gear is to helpful to compensate for the differential ratio change. 

I am having fun with the LSD, don't get me wrong, it is a tad more spritely.  But it wasn’t cheap ( 245 Getrags and LSD’s getting more expensive every day) and I’m really not sure after all the investment, if the  the dollar/grin ratio was worth it.  

A 245 (for me) will add more value only if it is mated to a 3.90/3.91 differential. 

But I ain’t no expert. 

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

FWIW (and we've already determined that it's worth dick, so I'll just offer my own opinion/musings here ;) ) my '76 mintgrun got a DIY 5 speed swap four years ago after owning it since 2002, and that is definitely in the top 3 of upgrades I've done in terms of driving enjoyment: recaros, suspension upgrade, 5 speed. Worth noting that for the first twelve years I focused on cornering upgrades vs a 5 speed, and not a single regret as I love a spirited drive when I can find it. (but damn I love having the 5 speed for highway cruising)

Now, the '73 sahara I picked up this past Fall from the original owner (in the photo) is a numbers matching survivor. As will be with any vehicle that had limited driving for a while it's got a number of issues around oil and transmission leaks that still need to be addressed. In the Fall when changing the tranny fluid a metal piece came out that was bigger than a fleck, which has me a bit concerned for how long this original 4 speed will keep running, even after I replace all the seals on it this Spring.

I've been contemplating whether I would 5 speed upgrade if indeed the tranny goes bad, and I still don't know, but I'm a bit more compelled to try and keep it original on this one... Maybe it's because I already have one that I've done mods to and this is "the original" car I have, maybe it's because it's a number-matching roundie that's unmolested and almost all original and it seems like the "right" thing to do. Not sure. 

IMG_2088.jpg

--

'73 Sahara numbers matching 

'74 Mintgrun sunroof car w/ oem Golde deflector, euro bumpers, 5spd, owned since 2002

Hey Otto, 

I think you did realize the benefit of a five speed for your 76, because if it was a 49 state car, the differential was a 3.90. That would make the RPM's at highway speeds a bit bothersome and the 5th gear certainly would help. 

For the 73 Sahara, not sure if the 5 speed swap would add much more to your driving experience unless you spend a lot of time on the highway. I am sorry, I cannot remember what the RPM drop would be at highway speeds when mated with a 3.64 differential. 

But if you find the Sahara annoying on the highway, then I would do the swap. For me it is much more fun to enjoy the car and drive it than to have than worry about future value. 

But what do I know?  I ain't no Toby......

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me.