• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there body filler between front panel and fender?

al

Is there body filler between front panel and fender?

I always remember the top seam being filled.I think it was even flush or maybe it was some kind of rubber stuff but my body shop is painting the car now and it looks like there’s at least a quarter inch gap on the bottom part.  And they are saying that originally it had a gap. And over the years it got filled by other body shops.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

39 minutes ago, al said:

I always remember the top seam being filled.I think it was even flush or maybe it was some kind of rubber stuff but my body shop is painting the car now and it looks like there’s at least a quarter inch gap on the bottom part.

The top seam was filled, as stated above, but the seam below the grille was left visible.  No gap, but a visible seam.  Is that what you mean by "bottom part"?

Spot welded underneath.

On top.... brazing is technically a higher-temp. operation, this should be considered more as lead soldering.

EDIT: I see the source, but technically it is a soldering process due to the lower relative heat involved.  The process is referred to as "tinning" , "lead burning", and "soft solder".  At the end of the day it's largely semantics though.  I just remember because my old welding instructor drilling the differences into us.

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 1

Yep, you've got it, as far as the temps go.

There are a few places that were brazed on a 2002.  

B-pillar

36948738916_6c1041e37f_c.jpgFile_000 (2) by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Door

36740020450_c75cc2fc7c_c.jpgFile_004 (2) by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

I haven't seen indication of brazing underneath the lead on the 2002's whose fender's I've removed.  There's always a chance I'm wrong though.

Edited by AceAndrew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

Spot welded underneath.

I have never understood how they would do that. I can’t see how the could get opposing electrodes in underneath the wing and then into the nose unless it was a ‘single sided’ spot weld that relied upon pressure from one side. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

This has been tack welded then soft lead soldered above the grills and ground smooth. Notice the gap below the grills where the lower fender meets the nose.

Leaded Passenger Fender.jpg

Leaded Driver Fender.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Oh, dear.

Ok.

The original way was probably lead over braze.  But that joint often takes a bit of pressure to

get it aligned in all 3 dimensions, so at a (pretty early) point, it becomes common to find one spot

weld at the end of the tab, since the spot welder electrodes effectively pin the joint together.  And

trying to pin something with braze sucks.

The reason this matters is that, if you're working with original panels, lead causes one kind of problem

with reattachment, and requires one solution, and braze causes a similar one, but requires a hotter solution.

And if it's truly original, and you try heating it to free the brazing, it may not pop loose due to a spot weld

that's very hard to find if you don't know it's there.

If you don't know what's  coating the steel and try to reattach things with arc welding, it can get ugly.

If it's all been replaced, cleaned up, or cut away, it doesn't matter at all.

And yes, the lower gap should be exposed,  but very tight.  If it's not, look for distorted flanges,

misaligned fasteners, or a headlight bucket that's not seated into the fender groove.

OR a "Mobile Tradition of close is good enough" fender.

t

jus' cauze

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL