• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found rust starting inside doors - how best to treat?

BarrettN

Where's the PhD dissertation on rust treatment?

Given these are 02s that we're talking about, I fully expected to find someone's doctoral dissertation on rust in the FAQ. I HATE rust - I was slave labor in my parent's body shop and knew how to treat and eliminate it then, but times has moved on and hopefully improvements have been made in rust treatment. Current plan to start is to clean out the lose material that's holding moisture in the seam (the picture didn't focus well, I think the rust may only be on the surface and hasn't gotten a good "bite" yet). After that - well, I wish there was the equivalent of an airbrush for media blasting. 

Any and all suggestion welcome - and yes, I know there are people who would kill to have such small rust problems! :)

Barrett

20190204_080148.jpg

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

39 minutes ago, Mike G said:

The air brush of media blasting. I bought an air gun with the suction already attached from my local hardware store. 

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/soda-blaster.html

That setup looks like exactly like what I need - not too aggressive, and if I mask everything off anything stuck in the door can be dissolved with water. Then treat it with POR. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Many years ago I did a Roundel story on how to address rust that hasn't perforated the sheet metal--like door bottoms, around the parking lights, hood and trunk lid edges etc.  Drop me a PM--and I'll send you the pertinent sections of the story.  I know my techniques worked as the spots I treated in the early 80s have not rusted since.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 2/4/2019 at 10:28 AM, mike said:

Many years ago I did a Roundel story on how to address rust that hasn't perforated the sheet metal--like door bottoms, around the parking lights, hood and trunk lid edges etc.  Drop me a PM--and I'll send you the pertinent sections of the story.  I know my techniques worked as the spots I treated in the early 80s have not rusted since.

Cheers

mike

Awe come on... ?  I have the same problem.  About a Nickle size bit of rust, superficial to lower door.  Share the info.  ?

Dan Bridges https://www.mcbdlaw.com/danbridges

72C672F5-4936-4D47-8D38-51052FE96876.jpeg.872fc2ca9a69951ae67c5fef264e9fad.jpeg

Past Treasurer and Governor Washington State Bar Association

One thing about POR, yes, its great stuff, but you really can't paint over it without a lot of fuss.

The similar Eastwood product is paintable, not that you want to but could.

In soda blasting it is not common practice to use household baking soda. The soda for blasting are different (sharp) crystals and come in several levels of aggressiveness. It may work, but not as effective.