• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differences in 2002tii airboxes

BarrettN

Hopefully I'm not driving everyone nuts with all my posts - the depth of my ignorance is limitless :) ! I'm noticing that there is at least what seems to be some differences between 2002tii airboxes - there's an extra fitting that I'm seeing on one. Are there more differences that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!

2002tii airbox - edited.jpg

2002tii airbox #2.jpg

Edited by BarrettN
mispelling

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Hopefully I'm not driving everyone nuts with all my posts - the depth of my ignorance is limitless [emoji4] ! I'm noticing that there is at least what seems to be some differences between 2002tii airboxes - there's an extra fitting that I'm seeing on one. Are there more differences that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!
1201904478_2002tiiairbox-edited.thumb.jpg.966fa204281736aacd22afa2b457ab5a.jpg
944848666_2002tiiairbox2.thumb.jpg.bd1bfcdc4bd4f99deb42e900ebddaa6b.jpg

The red circled fitting is for the fuel tank vent hose. Your air clearer housing is for a 1974 2002tii

I wish either was mine, when I got my car (74 tii) it was completely missing any airbox or filter, which is why I'm looking into what should have been there. To clarify if it wasn't already, the pictures are of two different airboxes that have minor differences - sounds like the one with the circled extra fitting us what I need to be correct for a 74.

• Like 1

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Thanks for the help - I had tracked down a NOS airbox, but it's pre-74, so identifying the different variants lets me know it isn't something later that I could possibly use. A shame, a nice NOS shiny airbox is awful tempting. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

As others have noted, your first photo in your initial post is of a correct airbox for a U.S.-spec 1974 model. As stephers notes, It has the ell bracket on top for the U.S.-only, and 1974-only, vacuum limiter valve.

The second photo in your initial post is of a Euro-spec airbox. I believe, but others can confirm or correct, that Euro-spec tii’s used the same airbox from 1971 through 1975. Euro-spec cars did not need to recycle gas fumes from the fuel tank, eliminating the need for that extra nipple.

All U.S.-spec tii’s recycled those gas fumes through their airboxes.

The other difference of which I’m aware, between 1974 U.S.-spec airboxes and 1972-73 U.S.-spec airboxes is an indentation on the front snorkel of the airbox. 1974 airboxes have it, apparently (allegedly?) to better accommodate adjacent hoses.

Below is a photo of a 1972-73 front snorkel (left) and a 1974 front not snorkel (right). I suspect Euro-spec airboxes exhibit the same change, but I don’t really know.

By now, lots of airboxes have been mixed and matched, diced and sliced.

Regards,

Steve

8073D160-CE7D-45F2-82DB-8E3F507F2755.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

A little off topic, but do the snorkels actually have a function? The front one might get some cooler air on a tii, the rear is facing the exhaust side. Originality aside, the filters with the central can and wingnuts on non-stock end caps do de-clutter the engine compartment....the tii probably doesn't need to have the can or snorkels removed too often...so that's not a consideration in deleting them. Since they look similar or identical to the ti snorkels except for the angling, I assume their only there to reduce the throaty intake sound...Right?

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

The whole air box is tuned ( I cant remember the principle that it's based on) and the snorkels are part of that, they are tapered to provide some cooling as the air expands from the small intake to the larger outlet into the can. On a stock ti or tii engine you'd be better off using the stock air cleaner as provided on a modified engine all bets are off.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I just happened to "stop by" for an 02 fix. I have a 74 airbox among parts left over after the sale of my tii. PM me if you have questions or are interested in it.

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold