• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn Signal missing cancel tab?

Tim of Capitola

• 2 weeks later...

Jumping in this thread (pardon plz) because I’m getting ready to replace my tired signal switch and I noticed this one in the photo is on the right side of the column. My 67 1600 is on the left side. Did one of the po move it or is it at all correct? Thanks,

eric

On 1/13/2019 at 8:16 AM, irdave said:

I was talking with JimK about this the other day.  Thought is the turn signal was on the right side until the square tail lights came out in '73.

+1

To add a little detail, although they first appeared in September 1973, and are sometimes referred to in BMW documents as the Modell 73, the square taillights are U.S. 1974 model year and later.

The right-side turn signal switch was one of the quirky — and sometimes endearing — things about round taillight ‘02’s.  ?

All square taillight ‘02’s have left-side turn signal switches.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

yes, switched to left about 74.

not only does the "tab" (actually a cylinder shaped thing that goes over the steering shaft) need to be there, it needs to be rotated to the correct location (tab centered on the white plastic turn signal actuator lever) before the steering hub is bolted on.  the hub holds the "tab" in position.

if the tab is not rotated to the correct spot before hub is bolted on, the turn signals won't cancel.

• Like 2

2xM3

Older pics from my 73tii with Momo steering wheel

pics11709026.jpg

Clearance adjusted (per the Blue Book) between the neutral position of the TS tab and the cancellation piece. Note the steering column covers were left off for making this adjustment.  That is why the turn signal stalk has slotted mounting holes.

pics11709023.jpg

• Like 3

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

4 hours ago, Tim of Capitola said:

Interestingly my after market hub doesn't allow the tab to reach the turn signal unit. Had to install it below the steering wheel nut.

maybe i am missing something...but that does not make sense.

tab goes on shaft first.  then put hub on.  then put nut on.

hub should not have any effect on the turn signal.

hub CAN affect the horn contact, but not the turn signal.

5 hours ago, jgerock said:

Clearance adjusted (per the Blue Book) between the neutral position of the TS tab and the cancellation piece. Note the steering column covers were left off for making this adjustment.  That is why the turn signal stalk has slotted mounting holes.

that level of precision is not really needed unless your car is owned by Jim.  ?   as long as the tab clears TS unit arm by a "touch" it will work fine.

the early right side TS units are very different than the later ones.  earlier had brass levers, later are plastic.  guts very different too. note the large spring on the unit jims pic.  later versions had TINY springs inside the unit that break and are not replaceable.  i just had to replace my TS unit two days ago because of this.  

pic of later broken spring..should be a spring on both sides of lever.

20190113_151949.jpg

good to have spares

20190113_152648.jpg

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

• 3 weeks later...