• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need a little advice regarding window seals...

NikeHolley

I've searched, & I can't seem to find the info I think I need...

I want to replace the window seals on both doors...

The ones at the bottom of the window, that keep water from going down into the door...

Ours are very dry & cracked.. inside & out...

I need some guidance/wisdom from someone who has gone down this road before me..!!

Also, the seals that the glass closes against at the top.. we have a slight whistle on both sides...

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

I have complete new URO for all seals and can confirm that the door seals are too think. Been shaving them down and still need to slam the doors like a maniac to get them to close.

For all other seals (weather strips, windshields, etc) they're ok though.

Coupla tips:

The window-to-sill seal at the bottom of the glass:  the early cars had a rubber wiper there; AFAIK they're NLA and/or have been replaced with a plastic piece with felt on the glass side.  Don't try to press it in place; lubricate with a little dish soap or silicone spray and slide i in place, back to front.

Door seal wind whistle:  presuming the existing seal is in good condition, you're gonna need to adjust the glass so it's closer to the seal, and that's a PITA.  The front track (part of the vent window frame) and the rear track (down inside the door) are both adjustable in three planes:  fore and aft, in and out and up and down.  You'll need to mess with the tracks by loosening the bottom retaining bolts and moving 'em around until you have the glass adjusted so it seals properly and still rolls up and down without a lot of effort.  Takes a lot of patience.  If you're gonna replace the door frame perimeter weatherstrip anyway, don't do the adjustment until the new weatherstrip is in place.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, NikeHolley said:

we have a slight whistle on both sides...

I think of that   as          fairly        normal.  (?)

As Mike said, the windows can be tilted in towards the cab by adjusting their hardware inside the doors, but don't go too far, or it puts stress on the door and will deform the seals where the wing window hits.

I went a little too far on the passenger side of my car and now have a pretty good dent in the seal.

I bit the big 500 dollar bullet and replaced mine with OEM door seals. But I was still whistlin' dixie on the freeway. Super frustrating and annoying!. I mean every 02 I've ever driven has that problem!!! It's hard to enjoy life on the freeway with all that noise.

I plan to keep my new seals fresh and pliable. I never want to fork out another 500 bux for something that should cost no more than a 100.

As stated above it's a pain to adjust the doors and glass...but I think it's so worth it to adjust them. My body work is now perfectly lined up and there's nary a whisper at speed'

Edited by iinca