• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2013 FAQ tii Fuel Lines Better Then BMW (OEM-ish)

73tiiDavidPA

So, my post of couple of weeks ago regarding my old, possibly original tii fuel lines confirmed they needed replacement.  

So out with the old and in with the new today.  I popped open my lines I got awhile (long while) back from the dealer.  Boy they really didn't fit well.  The arch at the injector was all wrong and the lines went too far vertical at the pump.  I then remembered that I had another set, which actually turned out to be two other sets.  These were Dieter Stenger (from the FAQ) lines.  Much better fit.  I'm wondering if anyone else it running Dieter's lines and if they've had any problems with them?  I got them from Dieter in January of 2013.  

Here are the old line installed :

IMG_5792.thumb.JPG.3dda496f12bf939b019ded845da89bd5.JPG

Here are the new (Dieter) lines installed :

IMG_5798.thumb.JPG.4dc7d5fbef12bb00acff6de783c83be2.JPG

The Dieter lines fit very well, the spacers are certainly needed to help where they touch.  The only difference I can tell is the Dieter lines have silver attachment points, while the BMW OEM lines have a gold color attachment points.  For comparison I took shots of each line - BMW OEM lines are on the top of each photos, then the used original line, then two Dieter lines below.  You can really tell just how ill-shaped the BMW OEM lines are.  The BMW lines are really poor at the curve (or lack thereof) near the injector.  

IMG_5794.thumb.JPG.bece792b82cf2399d685b5d8e2b9bdf3.JPG

IMG_5795.thumb.JPG.cc8bd0bcc2978bae0e1a27223eb805fd.JPG

IMG_5796.thumb.JPG.bbafdfc509a217fc7d5d6847a65f0c89.JPG

IMG_5797.thumb.JPG.6486e89cca018754927719a9b406cded.JPG

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

73 tii (Verona, survivor, owned since '92)

66 DS21 (most technologically advanced car of the 20th Century)

anyone out there have a story about these lines (OEM, original, or Deiter) failing? 

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

I haven't seen any fail, only damaged from wrenching or accidents.  Karl (OriginalOwner) might have a story.  He's got well over 300K miles on his car, I believe.

I bought a set of lines for my project engine from LaJolla Independent.  The curves are different from OEM.

http://www.bimmerdoc.com/parts-finder/bmw/2002-tii-fuel-injector-tube-set/

Fuel_Injection_Lines3_SML.thumb.jpg.cd122bce6633caf22e228fecac7743c5.jpg

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I understand the material is some thick-wall nylon-like material, you can soften it with a heat gun and bend to shape.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

its something like this:

https://www.belmetric.com/white-translucent-polyamide-hose-c-14_184_1154/rhpoly2white-polyamide-hard-plastic-white-translucent-2mm-p-6427.html

(nylons are part of the polyamide family)

most polyamides are resistant to hydrocarbons and alcohols, so dont expect any probems with ecofuels

https://www.professionalplastics.com/professionalplastics/ChemicalResistanceChartofPlastics.pdf

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

19 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Paul, I have to stop looking at photos of you engine (no actually, keep them coming) because it is just way clean and perfect.  Selfishly speaking, I wish you had a catalog of photos so I'd have a reference on how it all goes back together.  Yesterday I spent time getting my lines back in, and 6 of the new radiator hoses replaced.  I wonder if you have any shots of how / where this one particular wire gets fed / path it takes.  I'm pretty sure mine is incorrectly fed, it seems to be in the way of everything.  

It's the beige wire that it laying across the warm up regulator right now and the extension that holds the dip stick.  it goes to the top of the head to to temp gauge sensor I think.  I just appears very randomly routing on my car.  Do you have a photo of how it's routed on your car?

IMG_5798.thumb.JPG.20fbad079fa2a791fdf87a44bf78ab64.JPG 

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

16 hours ago, dlacey said:

its something like this:

https://www.belmetric.com/white-translucent-polyamide-hose-c-14_184_1154/rhpoly2white-polyamide-hard-plastic-white-translucent-2mm-p-6427.html

(nylons are part of the polyamide family)

most polyamides are resistant to hydrocarbons and alcohols, so dont expect any probems with ecofuels

https://www.professionalplastics.com/professionalplastics/ChemicalResistanceChartofPlastics.pdf

You don't want to use that stuff.  'Tecalan' is the material you want/need if you were to make new lines.  The line has a 6mm OD and a 4mm wall (2mm hole).  The pressure that a kugelfischer pump operates at (+500psi) will blow just about anything else apart.  The lines are really not easy to make, especially getting the fitting in the end of the line, heat gun + lots of patience + plenty of spare material.

Hi Mark,

yes, that looks like the proper tube.... their "TR 6 / 2 h nf" is 6 x 2 mm and rated at  113bar / 1600psi  ...bending radius of 30mm allowed.

thanks,

The 4mm wall thickness is critical.  I had Gus at Pacific Fuel injection test my new lines.  They didn't get the barb in the end of the line completely straight - blew a hole right through the base of the line - 650 psi fuel sprayed like a laser beam.  Getting the fittings in straight is critical along with the 4mm wall.

Mark, not trying to be a pita (piece of flat bread? But that's pofb, no...), but the walls are only 2mm thick. Measuring across the outside, there are two walls so divide by two. This is not the first time someone has made that kind of miscalculation, ask me how I know.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

2 hours ago, 73tiiDavidPA said:

It's the beige wire

I don't have a current picture that shows it but I found an old picture to add the routing I use.  I'm not 100% positive that it's correct, but it's what I've witnessed and used since the 80s.

In your picture the start of the beige wire is correct.  Once everything is back together I wrap it around the WUR coolant hose a couple of times and dead-end it at the sensor.  Very tidy in my mind and no strain on the wire.  Hope that helps.

TemperatureWireRoute2.jpg.3b642ff12f4606f8b8178ec12e2c03ca.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958

13 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

n your picture the start of the beige wire is correct.  Once everything is back together I wrap it around the WUR coolant hose a couple of times and dead-end it at the sensor.  Very tidy in my mind and no strain on the wire.  Hope that helps.

Thanks!  I might be out in the garage later to rectify.  

Benjamin Franklin