• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adj. camber plate solutions for stock spring size?

I have a set of adjustable K-Mac street camber/caster plates in the box on my shelf, PM me if anyone wants a set at a really good price.

I went full coilover instead so I didn't use them.

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

2 minutes ago, chargin said:

I have a set of adjustable K-Mac street camber/caster plates in the box on my shelf, PM me if anyone wants a set at a really good price.

I went full coilover instead so I didn't use them.

PM sent.

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

Just thinking but I don't see why you couldn't fit a smaller coil spring around the strut and have a reducer ring machined to keep the bottom of the spring centered and a new spring top cup made to fit the smaller diameter spring to get the clearance to add negative camber with a fixed plate.  

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I've got Ireland adjustable camber plates, strut bar, Eibach springs (with one coil removed on the fronts and no spacers (shims) in the rear), Koni shocks, Turbo front bar, Dinan adjustable rear bar and 195/50 R15 Bridgestone RE-71R tires. It's set to maximum allowable negative camber and is just fine for both street and track. The balance and handling has never been better. 

DSCN4040.JPG

DSCN4039.JPG

IMG-3466.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

• Like 1

1975 - 2002 - Sabine - Jade

2010 Toyota Matrix XR

Remember: RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

Ordered a set of the stage 1 kMac plates a few weeks ago.  I’ll most likely cut the front spring a tiny but as Kmac stated it would raise the car 10mm.  Would be interesting to see how much -ve camber I can get in combination with the IE offset roll centre adjusters.  

Also how do you find the RE-71r tyres.  Ordered a set for the manual e34 540i in 245/40/18 and 265/35/18 for my remade bbs RS. I’m pretty excited by them as they are only newly available to Australia.  

1974 2002 2.2stroker, DCOE45's, 300deg cam, 5 spd, 3.91 LSD // 1984 E24 M635csi, dogleg 5spd 3.23 LSD. // 1994 E34 540i, supercharged 16psi, 6spd E85 only, 3.15 LSD // 1997 E36 M3 Evo, low comp supercharged 18psi 6spd (under construction)

• 2 weeks later...

I got a set of T3 camber plates from my dad that he didn't end up using, the problem is neither of us knows how we are supposed to mount them. we are confused because it looks like the original part that I removed has a bearing on the bottom of it for the shock to rotate on, but the T3 doesn't. Am I missing a step here? A part? something obvious? id appreciate any help. Here is the part: https://technotoytuning.com/bmw/2002/bmw-2002-camber-plates

38a9409134b982452cdc26ab7918ac65.jpg&key=79871b9c56c54a5acd978056a78a55760d42ae3aad1541b33d4a20088737db45

1ddc3c80a419ade4a7f15d5da72b08cd.jpg&key=c3d3517f92aa3c5758de01d17f373d3897c996683b03340c76eb94db40c08a8b901faa2bdba019e680f4fa79690d7cb9.jpg&key=7f9a858e63a991fd5285b921b694f94e49f22182d538ac8d41e328151fe13c23

The first photo is the camber plate from the top (is it supposed to be mounted on top or bottom? Idk what I’m doing)

The second photo is the stock part, you can see there is a bearing that the suspension hat connects too and rotates on

The third photo is the camber plate from the bottom, with no bearing on the contact surface. This is where I’m confused, is there supposed to be something else there? I can’t imagine I would want it and the suspension rubbing against each other without a bearing while I turn the wheel

Sry if this is kinda sorta hijacking the thread but id rather do this than get 10 "did you use the search function" responses followed by articles that don't solve my problem. Also didn't seem necessary to start a new thread over

Additionally, is there any reason that my T3 camber plates might not be able to work to the extent of the kMac plates?

I’m trying to do just enough camber to help solve my rubbing issue, so about -1.8 is the highest I want to go, but again idk what I’m doing and will take what I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure those should go underneath, if a bolt breaks, nothing is stopping the strut from going up into the hood and dropping the front end to the pavement.

Is the hole in the spherical bearing larger than the stock bearing?  The stock system has the upper spring hat pressing against the stock bearing with a couple washers, which spaces it far enough away from contacting the mounting plate.

• Thanks 1

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

18 minutes ago, xr4tic said:

Pretty sure those should go underneath, if a bolt breaks, nothing is stopping the strut from going up into the hood and dropping the front end to the pavement.

Is the hole in the spherical bearing larger than the stock bearing?  The stock system has the upper spring hat pressing against the stock bearing with a couple washers, which spaces it far enough away from contacting the mounting plate.

I don't have access to the car right now but will again tomorrow. Thanks for the info on where they need to be placed, I will let you know about the spherical bearing relative to stock as soon as I can.

Yeah, I agree with xr4tic. The red portion of the camber plate is supposed to be under the fender.

I've been dailying cars with spherical bearing camber plates for almost a decade now. You should not have any issues if the hardware is robust.

Edited by d.hitchcock

Yeah, I agree with xr4tic. The red portion of the camber plate is supposed to be under the fender.

I've been dailying cars with spherical bearing camber plates for almost a decade now. You should not have any issues if the hardware is robust.

So the hat just connects directly to the spherical bearing with nothing between?

On 7/18/2018 at 7:15 PM, Senna27 said:

I've got Ireland adjustable camber plates, strut bar, Eibach springs (with one coil removed on the fronts and no spacers (shims) in the rear), Koni shocks, Turbo front bar, Dinan adjustable rear bar and 195/50 R15 Bridgestone RE-71R tires. It's set to maximum allowable negative camber and is just fine for both street and track. The balance and handling has never been better. 

Nice car! Unfortunately the Ireland plates listed on their website are not for stock size springs... Do you by chance have an older setup that is no longer available? I may ending up cutting a coil off the fronts of my H&R's as well, so I can get the height I'm looking for...

Edited by RenaissanceMan

Adam in Nashville

'74 2002tii, '90 E30/S52, '72 Alfa GTV, '86 Alfa Spider Veloce, '05 E53 X5, '06 E90 325i,

2 hours ago, I'm SpaghetTii said:

So the hat just connects directly to the spherical bearing with nothing between?

I am 99% sure there should be a washer between the spherical bearing and the upper spring perch, and another big washer between the top nut and the bearing.

Doublecheck with the vendor on install directions, just to be 100%.

An additional thought: the bushings in the spherical bearing should be the correct diameter for your shock shaft. I think I saw reference to that point in the thread. If there is any lateral play, you have the wrong bushings for your dampers.

Edited by d.hitchcock

I am 99% sure there should be a washer between the spherical bearing and the upper spring perch, and another big washer between the top nut and the bearing.

Doublecheck with the vendor on install directions, just to be 100%.

An additional thought: the bushings in the spherical bearing should be the correct diameter for your shock shaft. I think I saw reference to that point in the thread. If there is any lateral play, you have the wrong bushings for your dampers.

2be26ad3056ce8c18bf1a0a914793d1d.jpg the T3 came with this nut that has an attached tube thing that slots into the bearing to remove the difference in diameter

Those look great. Do they fit your shock shafts? If memory serves, nonadjustable shocks have 10 mm shafts, and adjustables have 12 mm shafts. Or something like that! Sorry if my numbers are wrong, but you get the general idea.

You still need big washers in both spots, unless this brand works differently than the others I've had.

Edited by d.hitchcock