• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fjord Color Match

Okay, so I am looking at buying a Fjord 02, the door needs to be replaced, the car's paint looks great, is it better to let the painter match the color or use the color code?

I know, it's a tricky question, just not sure how good the painters are at matching the colors.

Current: nada

Sold: 1974 Inka 2002tii ($15,500), 1974 Polaris 2002tii ($8k), 1975 Polaris 2002 ($1,800), 1973 Colorado 2002 ($10k), 1967 Sahara 1600 ($11,500), F10 //M5 ($42k), E60 //M5 ($15,500)

Classic Car Scrapper: https://petroljunky.com

5 hours ago, Simeon said:

They should match and then shoot a test plate. A good shop will do this, if they wont then go elsewhere. 

+1

The chances of a random quart of Fjord matching the Fjord on your new Fjord car — it’s metallic, so it’s been repainted at least once, xx years ago — are very slim. Matching is as much an art as a science, but your odds of a match are better!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Many automotive paint shops have spectrographic matching equipment, that will do a nearly perfect match of your existing paint, whether faded, not quite the original color or....whatever.  

My local body shop has had occasion to do paint somewhere on my Sahara '73 six times since 1990, and all panels match perfectly.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Ah, issue is the car is near perfect and I am getting a door and was hoping not to to touch anything else

Current: nada

Sold: 1974 Inka 2002tii ($15,500), 1974 Polaris 2002tii ($8k), 1975 Polaris 2002 ($1,800), 1973 Colorado 2002 ($10k), 1967 Sahara 1600 ($11,500), F10 //M5 ($42k), E60 //M5 ($15,500)

Classic Car Scrapper: https://petroljunky.com

Just depends on your level of expectation.  The starting point should be a shop that uses their color match equipment regularly. That’s your best starting point if you want a good match. If you want an unnoticeable door repaint, from all angles under different light then your start at the same shop and blend into the adjacent panels. You can ask the shop to do a spray out of the color and you make the final decision, if you want it to look good to you. If you want it unnoticed by everyone then blend to adjacent panels.