• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown ignition system component

OldBlue2002

I am prepping my '02 for a changeover from my 20 yr old msd ignition setup to a 123ignition distributor.

While tracing a wire from the distributor's condenser connector over toward the drivers side of the engine bay, I found that it connects to a part I can't identify (see picture). It seems to be covered in tape and has been there ever since I first got the vehicle (2003). Any idea what it is? I don't see it in any wiring diagrams or engine bay photos around the web.

Also, I am under the impression that some components (resistor) are discarded when upgrading to the msd 6a. Will any of that be put back in now that I'm switching back to only having a distributor? 

Thanks, 

Scott

20180421_165256.jpg

Edited by OldBlue2002
Clarity

That is likely a tacho converter. That’s there to drive your tachometer as the signal from the MSD is incompatible with your factory tacho. If you are removing the whole MSD then you can remove it too. If you are going to switch the MSD using the 123 then leave it in place. 

• Like 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Looks like a transformer.  At a minimum, it will have four wires, one pair for each winding.  If you can trace the wires to see where it connects, we may be able to deduce its function.  If only one winding (two wires) is connected to anything, it is being used as an inductor.  Do you have the stock tach in the car?

hmm, interesting.

I was actually asking jimk about his tachometer, because I remembered this post from one week ago

I actually have a newer version, or at least I assume it is newer, based on it being plastic; since that seems to be the way things go.  (I have no use for it.  Photos are fun though, so here you go : )

080.JPG

12 hours ago, '76mintgrun'02 said:

was that the one that fried your tach?

No, it was a new tach adapter.  Black goo was oozing out of the adapter when I got home from the MidAmerica02fest.  It happened 2 years ago.  Delux Speedometer in Denver rebuilt the tach with a new board and now I don't need an adapter.

The one in the pic above looks to be an newer version still than the one that crapped out on me.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 1 month later...

Uhh...maybe a remote windshield washer pump (non-OEM)? Where do the hoses lead?

ooh...originally a sienabraun-metallic car?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

That is likely a tacho converter. That’s there to drive your tachometer as the signal from the MSD is incompatible with your factory tacho. If you are removing the whole MSD then you can remove it too. If you are going to switch the MSD using the 123 then leave it in place. 

I run a 123 with a msd and it works amazing. Just use a solid rotor or you will melt it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002