• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement Starters

Hans

Hi,

When I installed my e32 starter, I did not attach it to the bracket that braces the intake manifold.  The bracket stayed in place for the manifold, however.  If I recall correctly, the starter did not reach the bracket.

My assumption was that if bracing was not required on the e32, it should not be necessary on the 2002 (although this engine does have higher vibration).  It's been on there for over a year and all is well.

Yes you should use it bracket because on high compression engines I have seen bellhousing crack with larger 1.5kw and 1.7kw starters from M30 3.5 and motorsport type gear reduction starters.

To be honest if your engine turns over easily by hand with less than 9:1 compression its not going to stress the housing as much but i would stll use bracket or make something otherwise its still a lot of weight dangling off one end.

Also don't mess about with reconditions/cores when brand new Lucas starter is available for much less eg 1.1kw LRS00352 is like £60 here in UK and 1.5 and 1.7kw version are £90

I just finished posting this one a second ago.  It works great, and for the price it is worth a try.  It doesn't use the bracket.  It is my understanding that the bracket was there to support the manifold, rather than the other way around. 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-STARTER-BMW-AUTO-TRUCK-535-SERIES-735-L6-M5-INBOARD-ENG-B630-B635/152218487980?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

i have a sr441x in my car right now.  pulled it from a 1988 735i at the wreckers.  doesn't match up to the bracket, but it doesn't have a bracket on the 735i it came from (just the two bolts to the block by the flywheel).  works great and weighs much less than the stock starter.  cost me $27 so I can't complain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 12:01 AM, Dudeland said:

I just finished posting this one a second ago.  It works great, and for the price it is worth a try.  It doesn't use the bracket.  It is my understanding that the bracket was there to support the manifold, rather than the other way around. 

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-STARTER-BMW-AUTO-TRUCK-535-SERIES-735-L6-M5-INBOARD-ENG-B630-B635/152218487980?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Just replaced mine with this one from ebay today. Thing spins over pretty fast and the tii fires up much quicker now (read: less turn over attempts). Will test out the cold weather crank later this week when the cold hits!

Hope it lasts!