• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAT Bring A Trailer RE: Preparing for an auction listing

burndog

Hello everyone,

Well it is time to upgrade and move onto the track! I am looking for advice on leveraging BAT to sell my 1975 2002. A lot of you actively watch and read the ads and I am looking to provide the most succinct, accurate positive ad as possible. So, I am looking for some advice as to what information to include in order to attract the more discerning buyers. And of course, what you think a realistic reserve floor should or could be. The car is what I would consider a resto-mod (correct?) and you all may be familiar with it. It was PinePig's two-tone turbo charged, EFI 5Spd. I have done considerable interior upgrades, rebuilt the motor with all new and upgraded components. I am working on the component detail list now... The car isn't perfect, but WOW does it get considerable interest from all parties! Paint is about an 8 out of 10, powertrain is rock solid with rebuilt 3.91 LSD, freshened up the 5spd mounting hardware, rebuilt front end suspension with Blunt rebuild kit, etc...

I am adding a few pictures for a primer and would appreciate any and all feedback.

Cheers,

BURNDOG

02BayAreaSwapMeet-20-2000x1335.jpg

Brisbane2017_B27676.JPG

02BayAreaSwapMeet-21-2000x1335.jpg

Take a few hundred photos ;-)

Especially of known potential rust areas.

Oh look! No snorkel! :D

You might post your potential ad copy here for us to critique.

Do you have a dyno run?

Cheers,

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Oh, the other thing with BaT is, be very visible and reactive during the auction; respond as quickly as possible. And try not to show your irritation with the peanut gallery there :)

Cheers, 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Definitely a Dyno sheet if you plan to quote power #s.

Compression/leakdown #s?

Lots of pics. Someone recently counseled me to not use a flash for pics underneath because it will make rust look worse than it really is

9 hours ago, burndog said:

Hello everyone,

Well it is time to upgrade and move onto the track!

Do tell!  Bummer to see you are selling it, but it sounds like the future is bright.

In regards to your posting, you may also want to consider powder coating or painting the valve cover + intake manifold + radiator support bracket + strut brace.  That, and a general engine bay cleanup.

Hard to put a value on it.  Restomods come down to the quality of work more than people would like to admit (especially those people who are selling them with "good enough" workmanship)

I don't hold a lot of value in what BAT commentators say any more.  Maybe three years ago, but not now.

Edited by AceAndrew

Burndog --

I like all the recommendations above.  You absolutely have to take well lit photos of the underneath of the car on a lift.  Photos of underneath while the car is resting on its tires will not suffice.

Now, lets hope BAT accepts your car.

Good luck --

David

I might add that professional 'glamour' photos seem to help the car do well... 

And a comprehensive parts list of EVERYTHING that's been done, with all of the parts used.  If it really is a well done project, all of those things could show a buyer that the work was serious...  And a lot of buyers might not be as savvy as some of the fanatics around here, so listing things like the upgraded ignition with coils on the plugs, etc, could help...

It's a really good looking car, but the call of the track is difficult to ignore...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

You will be amazed by how many people chime in with negative comments after skipping your entire auction description and just shooting from the hip. Like many have said, stay calm in your responses or how you comment back in general. 

Alo, be prepared to hear all about your 2002 not having a front bumper... when I listed my previous squaretail M2 on BaT it had the same styling as yours up front and that was brought up nonstop. I just reminded the audience that the bare front end allows for a new owner to place any type of airdam or chin splitter one they place the winning bid. 

Best of luck.

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

*all of the above. Especially the part about being there when folks start tearing your car 'down'. Just be calm and think through every response...

AND maybe consider cleaning up that valve cover (if you haven't already)

Personally I'd think about selling it right here on the FAQ. Cheaper and folks here will pay more for a well built resto'. 

BAT stands for Bullies, Abuse and Torture

Edited by iinca
  • Like 1