• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transportation- Austin TX to SF Bay Area (and buyer/seller transfer protection)

M5280RCR

I finally get to join the group here with a verbal agreement I made last night on a '73 tii.  I am replacing a '76 2002 I owned half a lifetime ago when I was fresh out of college.

Anyway, regarding transit, I have quotes for $800/open and $1,300 enclosed; and wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on this pricing and/or if anyone has other car transportation company referrals?  Also I have heard horror stories of missing parts, tools, etc. upon arrival, and thoughts on how to protect myself from theft of the extra wheels, mats, speakers, tools etc. that will be shipped in the car?

Lastly, I have not purchased a car without physically meeting the seller and transferring title and $ at the same time.  Seller suggested him fedex'ing the title to me, and then me sending him a cashiers check. or transferring funds between banks.  He seems like a stand up guy, but there must be a better way, I have heard of escrow services that hold title and $ until car is received.  Any thoughts feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray

I bought my 356 in Boise and needed to get it to ATL.  I flew in to inspect the car, gave a cash deposit and took all records home with me.  I used Reliable to move the car.  Once I had confirmation of the exact day it would be picked up, I wired the rest of the money to hit their account that morning.  Use a reputable carrier and you shouldn't have any problems.

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

$800 seems reasonable for the distance.  But keep in mind that any broker you use is just bidding it out to individual truckers or transport companies.  You don't have much control of the quality or honesty of the drivers.  Also, I don't think any transport company is going to guarantee the safeguarding of the contents of the car.  Anything that is not tied down should be boxed up and shipped separately if it is valuable to you.

One small company I have used for local and cross-country transport is http://www.strattonexpress.com/.  They don't charge huge broker fees and will get the best price they can for you.  

I have used PayPal on the spot when buying directly.  But since there has to be an element of trust in your case, the escrow service might be safest.  I've never used one.

Good luck and congratulations!

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

If you have a good relationship with your bank, they should be able to provide an escrow service.  The seller sends the properly executed title to your bank (or his), and you give them payment.  Then once title and payment are in the bank's hands, the bank will issue a cashier's check to the seller and give you the title.  At least that's the way it's worked for me in the past.

And if the car's in Austin, have the seller take it to Terry Sayther's shop for an inspection, and have Terry send you the results.  He's been working on 2002s for at least 40 years and is a real expert. 

cheers, and welcome (back) to the '02 fraternity/sorority

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 hours ago, jgerock said:

Inspect it yourself. An old car is expensive to buy sight unseen.  Pictures can hide faults.

Sorry, I should have realized that not everyone was following my recent threads in the "for sale" section".  I would not buy a car long distance, or even locally, without a PPI.

4 hours ago, mike said:

If you have a good relationship with your bank, they should be able to provide an escrow service.  The seller sends the properly executed title to your bank (or his), and you give them payment.  Then once title and payment are in the bank's hands, the bank will issue a cashier's check to the seller and give you the title.  At least that's the way it's worked for me in the past.

And if the car's in Austin, have the seller take it to Terry Sayther's shop for an inspection, and have Terry send you the results.  He's been working on 2002s for at least 40 years and is a real expert. 

cheers, and welcome (back) to the '02 fraternity/sorority

mike

Thanks for the lead, two nice people in the "for sale" section already directed me to Terry's shop.  Paul (the vintage guy) already had one of his guys do the PPI Friday morning.  Paul gave the car pretty high marks (aside from some lower trim rust) and thought price was fair.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and thoughts

Edited by M5280RCR
typo

'73 Riviera Tii

'93 M5 Dinan stroker, etc...

'08 M3 ESS 625 s/c'er, etc..

'64 Stingray