• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust manifold heat shield bolt sheared

rapandi

Hi team

One of the bolts that holds the heat shield to the exhaust manifold got sheared off by PO. 

I am lost as to how I can pull the sheared shank of the bolt out????

Any ideas???

Regards

Raj

IMG_5415.JPG

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5417.JPG

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

That will be very stuck in place. You can try drilling a hole and using an ezy-out of an appropriate size. Failing that, drill it out an re-tap the hole the next bolt size up. 

Just a bit of trivia, that hole goes all the way through to the runner. When I replaced my manifold recently, I left the hole without a bolt. When I started the car, I could hear a high pitched whistle and could see a small, condensed plume of exhaust coming from the hole. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

if it were me, I'd get an acetylene torch, or find a shop with on and a friendly employee. Heat the surrounding metal red hot. Take a tiny chisel and see if you can move it... or an easy-out while the manifold is still hot. I've learned (the hard way) to never remove these without first heating things up. 

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

1 hour ago, wegweiser said:

if it were me, I'd get an acetylene torch, or find a shop with on and a friendly employee. Heat the surrounding metal red hot. Take a tiny chisel and see if you can move it... or an easy-out while the manifold is still hot. I've learned (the hard way) to never remove these without first heating things up. 

+1 on this, weld a nut to the top and heat the hell out of it (cherry red) that is the only way this is coming out. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

If it were me...  I'd give up on getting it out..  chuck it up in the mill..  Drive a 5/16" end mill into the hole and helicoil it.  To drill it, you're gonna have to grind it flat and center punch it.  At that point I'd drill out from the center with larger and larger left hand drills but you're gonna be a while

• Like 1

When you do get it out...use a stainless steel bolt liberally coated with anti-seize paste.  The original thread size, BTW is 6x1mm.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite