• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Dyno Advice Please

PaulTWinterton

As some of you know, I restored a 74tii engine last winter.

59c014e6c909e_EngineHiRez3_xsml.jpg.e75d3cad7994cf7906ce028dd45c3462.jpg

This winter I want to dyno-test it. I have spoken with a local shop that has a test stand and offers the service for $400.  Unfortunately it is only set up to do domestic engines.

The shop has said that if I can fabricate a drive from the flywheel, a bellhousing, and a tii fuel pump or alternative, the rest is easy.

What I'm asking for here is any experience, pitfalls, pre-fabricated parts, and other opinions to help make this endeavor a reality.

On a side note:  I'm going to visit them.  It turns out they are right next door to my favorite DIY media-blasting company, Langley U-blast.  Awesome.  I'll have to look in my stash for any parts that need cleaning.:)

Cheers,  Paul 

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Bell housings on the Gegrat 265 that was use on the S14 will bolt up exactly and were removable from the gearbox.  Source one from a trashed transmission.

On the early E30 that used a two fuel pump systems, the in-tank pump was a 2 bar pump, the same pressure a Tii uses.  They are available a salvage yards cheap.  I have several known good ones, collected for failed ideas.  These are bayonet tank mounts.  Source an old 2002 tank with a return nozzle or add a nozzle to an early tank.

Edit: I just looked and the early 2 bar pump has a return nozzle on the pump.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

First off great looking motor from that on pic....not sure I have any really good advice for you other than I know that there can be a lot of variation in the data based on the dyno and who is running the dyno.  I ended up having to have a dyno header made up for mine that had the o2 sensors in it etc.,  This is a very elaborate dyno as you can tell with alot of time to set up, the dry sump added a bunch of time to that as well.  Since I paid a wheel barrow (small swimming pool) of cash to rebuild my motor I was only charged a nominal fee, pretty sure it would be in the thousands to do it if you were not a customer.  You do have to find someone that is familiar with your tii engine because there is likely to be some "fiddling" with it while they are running it in. At the end of the day your engine should be completely run in and tuned perfectly (or as perfectly as possible).

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Paul,

The trick is the adaptor from the crank to the dyno.  If you want to bring it down here I have a engine dyno shop I use all the time and I have all of the adaptors to hook it up.   It is more expensive (I think they are about $600/day now)  and I am sure we can get it mounted, dyno'ed and off in 1 day easy. 

Byron

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

2 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

Paul,

The trick is the adaptor from the crank to the dyno.  If you want to bring it down here I have a engine dyno shop I use all the time and I have all of the adaptors to hook it up.   It is more expensive (I think they are about $600/day now)  and I am sure we can get it mounted, dyno'ed and off in 1 day easy. 

Byron

You should pack your engine up and head that way now, that is a smokin deal + Byron had the "fiddlin" capabilities with your tii motor you will probably need some of.

• Like 1

What are you trying to get out of it? A full dyno tune or just the ability to run the engine in, look for leaks etc?

you could build a basic stand to run the engine on yourself for a lot less than $600. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

1 hour ago, Preyupy said:

If you want to bring it down here I have a engine dyno shop I use all the time and I have all of the adaptors to hook it up.   It is more expensive (I think they are about $600/day now)  and I am sure we can get it mounted, dyno'ed and off in 1 day easy. 

That is a fantastic offer and makes me giddy.  I would love to do that. Let me ponder that and determine the month when I'd be able.  I'll be in touch.

27 minutes ago, Simeon said:

What are you trying to get out of it? A full dyno tune or just the ability to run the engine in, look for leaks etc?

I've come to the conclusion that I will not be keeping this engine.  My Inka engine has lots of life still in it and the 74 engine is just sitting, hermetically sealed in plastic.  What better to offer than a dyno-tested - 9.5:1 -  broken-in - restored - tii engine with all the trimmings.  That's my thought anyway.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958