• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

Fortunately the ‘02 hasn’t needed anything since replacing the driver’s door window and regulator, and tuning the Webers. I just need to take her out for a good drive and check the plugs to see if the idle mixture is spot on.

Unfortunately, I’ve had to deal with the “other” bimmer, which certainly makes me appreciate the simplicity of the ‘02.3F6E827F-1FD1-4B7C-8814-65E96DC864B1.thumb.jpeg.48dfc9dc43d0f8ebadb903a17ca66d72.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Schon '02 said:

Fortunately the ‘02 hasn’t needed anything since replacing the driver’s door window and regulator, and tuning the Webers. I just need to take her out for a good drive and check the plugs to see if the idle mixture is spot on.

Unfortunately, I’ve had to deal with the “other” bimmer, which certainly makes me appreciate the simplicity of the ‘02.3F6E827F-1FD1-4B7C-8814-65E96DC864B1.thumb.jpeg.48dfc9dc43d0f8ebadb903a17ca66d72.jpeg

VANOS problems? Sounds like it’s functioning correctly. 😋

• Haha 2

'74 Verona

Checking on the shop tonight…we Make it back home today after a weekend attending the 02berfest put on by Terry Sayther and Debbie Stuart a great few days of good times shared with many friends old and new all brought my way thur these cars…

2104CB20-D093-4639-8909-E714150BB619.jpeg

873E209F-6ED6-4919-92F1-2AD70C127D19.jpeg

B081E31E-FED6-4769-8104-89419C6F8B55.jpeg

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 13

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

Yesterday Stevenola and I attended the inaugural BMWs-only cars n coffee at BMW of Sarasota.  Mind you, BMW of Sarasota has hosted a monthly cars n coffee for years, but so many non-BMWs always showed up that those of us with actual BMWs were shunted to the parking lot of the excellent Vietnamese restaurant next door.  Someone in management finally had an aha moment and decided we needed our own event.  So there we were, all five of us — just barely outnumbered by the (not-pictured) Vettes, who apparently had got the message, but not got the message, if you know what I mean.

The architect of the event, along with our good local dealer, is Russ Garvey, one of our BMWCCA Florida SunCoast chapter’s movers-and-shakers (pictured).  We’re working to locate the other three vintage BMWs in the Sarasota area to see if we can get them to participate.  Note to Self.  No, really, note to Self!

7B63EE85-F307-4D38-953B-E7551AC4A21C.jpeg

F7457E14-F6F1-44F4-8539-28D50A8F5C62.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Finally started reassembling the rear subframe. Now just need to buy a diff, rear break kit and sway bars. 

So far all new powdercoat, IE adjustable rear subframe, Poly bushing for the control arms, new rear subframe mounts with poly inserts, and all new hardware. 

2658CE11-C681-4318-8698-48D05855B297.thumb.jpeg.036cbb4960c14ed2912dda84eff791da.jpeg

• Like 8

Rockers looked and felt solid pre-teardown.  They still looked quite good even after stripping the chipguard off of them.  But I saw one tiny pinhead size bubble looking thing, so I hit it with a wire wheel.  It got a little bigger, and a couple more appeared next to it, so I cut out a peekaboo patch to see what was going on.  So off with the rockers.  The opposite side, which had zero outward signs of anything going on, was actually worse.

Makes me laugh about how often you see the phrase "rust free rockers" in classifieds.

B02_Repair_Rocker 4.JPG

B02_Repair_Rocker 8.JPG

B02_Repair_Rocker 9.JPG

Edited by bweelr
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bweelr said:

Rockers looked and felt solid pre-teardown.  They still looked quite good even after stripping the chipguard off of them.  But I saw one tiny pinhead size bubble looking thing, so I hit it with a wire wheel.  It got a little bigger, and a couple more appeared next to it, so I cut out a peekaboo patch to see what was going on.  So off with the rockers.  The opposite side, which had zero outward signs of anything going on, was actually worse.

Makes me laugh about how often you see the phrase "rust free rockers" in classifieds.

B02_Repair_Rocker 4.JPG

B02_Repair_Rocker 8.JPG

B02_Repair_Rocker 9.JPG

Whoa! So are the rockers two layers of metal from the factory? Or did someone layer some clean metal over your rusty rockers at some point?  

46 minutes ago, popovm said:

Whoa! So are the rockers two layers of metal from the factory? Or did someone layer some clean metal over your rusty rockers at some point?  

There are a couple layers at the front of the rockers at the bottom of the A pillar.  The rocker covers the A pillar sheet metal at that point.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, in addition to the two layers at the bottom of the A pillar, the rear quarter panels overlap the outer rockers from the back of the doors to the front of the rear fender wells.  The short cut out pieces you see laying next to the long ones in the pictures are actually the lower portions of the rear quarter panels.  It's all factory... no add-ons over the existing.