• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your 2002 today !

1 hour ago, SS95003 said:

I signed up here today. Clearly I’ve looked on this site a lot just never signed up till today.   Oh I also brought this home. 

DB12EF53-1626-44B2-B801-6C4BF1442AE3.jpeg

W E L C O M E 

Looks like you got a nice one...good deal...another beauty saved !

Nice shop also!

Light is seriously underrated.

14 minutes ago, BeMyWay said:

W E L C O M E 

Looks like you got a nice one...good deal...another beauty saved !

Nice shop also!

Thank you the shop is quite a mess the dark area is a new addition that is 30x45. That project needs to get done before I tear into this.  The car is decent. From the outside it wears a 30+ respray, and only one visual rust spot on rear fender.   However the original motor is seized needs seat completely redone, and one major rust issue on underside near fender holding the gas tank up, other wise from what I can see rust free. (Hopefully)

I bought a new wire set like that ten years ago.  (They also had rubber boots on both ends of the socket).  Two of them had issues that led to misfiring.  It took me a bit to find the problem... "It can't be the plug wires, they're new."

Can't you just snip half an inch off of that wire and screw it back onto the socket?

The problem with my wires wasn't so simple.  I wound up buying Kingsborne wires and they've been great.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I bought a new wire set like that ten years ago.  (They also had rubber boots on both ends of the socket).  Two of them had issues that led to misfiring.  It took me a bit to find the problem... "It can't be the plug wires, they're new."

Can't you just snip half an inch off of that wire and screw it back onto the socket?

The problem with my wires wasn't so simple.  I wound up buying Kingsborne wires and they've been great.

The wire is broken off clean where it entered the boot, almost like it was cut. I didn’t see a way to fix it but I’ll look again. 

I decided to pull both seats/door thresholds/the console and the carpet, to wash up the coffee that spilled down the tunnel.  It turns out that was the smaller of the messes I found under the carpet and my best guess is that this is antifreeze.  (the radiator was a quart low today)  I have more "cleaning" to do than anticipated and maybe I've finally got a reason to rebuild the heater box.

image.thumb.jpeg.76e84edb0e8ee557c6dc8e8cf8092532.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bff576ef592c26ce30d25789444b1082.jpeg

I removed the back seat while I was at it and installed the PROCAR seat that James gave me.  It's got quite a bit more support than my tired old stock seat(s) and weighs ten pounds less.

image.thumb.jpeg.73cf0cc77c101a39fa3e3df1821ba58b.jpeg

Passenger/rear seat and console deletes complete.  I rarely have passengers.

image.thumb.jpeg.580e5b08d1ee655fc4f03c8eebb1b513.jpeg

I also removed the trunk floor panels/spare tire/jack(s)/junk from the trunk.  (I reinstalled the plywood panels (7 lbs.)).

image.thumb.jpeg.44058c3fc22724f37de530e00d59bf72.jpeg

I weighed everything that I removed and took a tally.  The grand total came to 250 pounds!  I am eager to feel the difference that makes.

Tool kit + timing kit = 18 lbs..  

image.thumb.jpeg.47ec32b9679af3c9535e31d744999e5c.jpeg

There were around a dozen holes going through to the trunk, so I put some tape over them and stuffed foam in around the fuel line, vent line and wiring that comes from the trunk.

image.thumb.jpeg.9f6e3ae62f02369c204578c577e58014.jpeg

I went looking for a little strip of copper to make a seat belt hanging clip (to keep it from slipping down to the floor) when I discovered that I'd already made one, but hadn't installed it for some reason.  This is going to make me happy every time I reach for it.

image.thumb.jpeg.255eab2001766a818d21976210347b1a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2052cdcf24d595cc7aeec1341f7fbec3.jpeg

It matches my shifter.  :) 

image.thumb.jpeg.0cd11e36a5f331ceb0211df7e63d08a3.jpeg

It's probably a good thing I spilled that coffee.  It sure led to a bunch of unexpected work.

image.thumb.jpeg.b228105ab0d3880ac1f540288169302f.jpeg

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Tom if that's antifreeze your heater box is your #1 suspect it loves that spot next to the tunnel, as for the coffee don't worry I once spilled a large crushed pineapple shake at that same spot, MAJOR BONER

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Been driving mine a lot lately. It's been pretty hot here so all windows open. 

Yesterday two of the headliner  bow seams gave up and tore. That makes the middle three are all torn.  Yeah..

This will be a winter project, I refuse to not drive it this Summer.

Also lost my stupid little valve cover air filter.  A fair amount of oil I got to clean up.

Need to install my  catch can that I had for two years.  

Question,  can you reuse the headliner ?   Or does the glue and such  screw it up ? 

12 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Tom if that's antifreeze your heater box is your #1 suspect it loves that spot next to the tunnel, as for the coffee don't worry I once spilled a large crushed pineapple shake at that same spot, MAJOR BONER

Although my leak was the heater valve.

YMMV :)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The lower boot on the ceramic end was standard equipment on 70's  Volvo's, they work too just incase  you need to ford a river on the way to work

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

4 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Although my leak was the heater valve.

Which means the gasket between the box and cowl is shot and I know, Ray, you would go through the heater box if you had to drop it?.

• Haha 1

George S Patton 

I had a leak at the valve a year (or two) ago and it went away when I tightened one of the hose clamps.  I was (am) hoping that was the source of the puddle, but finding the radiator low today was not a good sign.  I just topped it off with distilled water.  I see some water stains around that heater box seal by the valve and I'll bet that is where it came in.  No drips that I can see today. 

I still had the original open cell foam/rubber/foam pads under my carpet and they do a great job of trapping wetness if something gets underneath them.  Now I have one with antifreeze soaked foam and one with clutch juice foam.  I don't think they'll be going back in.

edit-- I poked around with a flashlight tonight after a drive and could not find any drips at the valve or underneath the heater box.  Hopefully all I have to do is fix the floor.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02

8 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I had a leak at the valve a year (or two) ago and it went away when I tightened one of the hose clamps.  I was (am) hoping that was the source of the puddle, but finding the radiator low today was not a good sign.  I just topped it off with distilled water.  I see some water stains around that heater box seal by the valve and I'll bet that is where it came in.  No drips that I can see today. 

I still had the original open cell foam/rubber/foam pads under my carpet and they do a great job of trapping wetness if something gets underneath them.  Now I have one with antifreeze soaked foam and one with clutch juice foam.  I don't think they'll be going back in.

edit-- I poked around with a flashlight tonight after a drive and could not find any drips at the valve or underneath the heater box.  Hopefully all I have to do is fix the floor.

Maybe run carpetless for a while with the heater on, see if the problem recurs?

• Like 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000