• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

friends ..... and their mechanical skills

when your most-favorite trusted mechanic calls you up with Bad News and Great News .....  

"So, like, that grinding noise you heard ??  And that big puddle under your 2002 ??  The bad news:  your transmission case has a very minor crack.  The Great News:  no problem !!  An easy fix, I got that minor crack repaired and I'll have the transmission reinstalled by tomorrow, you're good to go !!"

image.thumb.png.7b8151a7ad2f527516378ea3efd631c1.png

image.thumb.png.e30a063c45f5b9f51595572bcad818e6.png

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Small, recent anecdote and topical to this thread.

I promised I wouldn't tell anyone...but I'm going to limit that to the circle of people we know, and the internet is a safe space, no? hah.

Been helping a friend who recently bought a used Volvo V70 T5 and loves it. He's pretty limited in his mechanical skills, but is very determined to learn and picking it up quite well. 

However, he recently had the fuel filter replaced and some other small work done. Afterwards, he said it was driving great, but on the way home and it started to sputter, had issues, and wouldn't stay running. Eventually it wouldn't start at all. 

It was his impression that it was a fuel delivery issue. (He wasn't wrong). We spent a saturday checking fuel pressures along the line, checking voltages, basic problem solving stuff and for all that I or we could come to, pointed that the fuel pump had given up the ghost. And given it had 200km's and sat for quite a while, not improbable. 

So homie orders a new fuel pump and installs it. Still won't work and he's now worried. So yesterday I go over to lend a hand and a shoulder to cry on, and he's talking about how there's a bunch of crud at the bottom of the tank and he's concerned things are clogged... ruined a 2nd fuel pump...something about relays...

And I'm like, 'holdup... you could see the bottom of the tank? Just how much gas was in there?'

'Enough... and the gas gauge isn't even in the red'....

'Yah, but... used car. Have you ever driven it into the red?'

'No... but'

'Have you tried putting more gas in the tank?'

'No, but....'

*goes and buys 10l of fuel. Fires up immediately. Purs like a kitten. 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Haha 5